Thread: Dewalt 733 or Delta Two speed Planer

Dewalt 733 or Delta Two speed Planer

I have narrowed my search down to these two. The Delta is about 420.00 plus more for the dust hood. The Dewalt has the dust hood, spare blades and a 50.00 rebate until 3/31 bringing the price to 299.00. Which would be the best? One week to decide.

Planers

Gary,

I have the Dewalt and have been pleased with it. It has done an admirable job, however the Delta is a nice machine and scored high in Wood Magazines recent test. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Bob

Hi Gary

I went through the same thing a few months back. Lowes had a sale on the DW but I waited too long. I went ahead and bought the Delta 2 speed. I love it.

Of course, the price dropped from $449 to $399 a couple of months later. But I see it's back up somewhat.

I think you will like any top model. I don't see anyone bemoaning the one they bought, of any major brand. However, for $299, I think I would go DW today.

Don't second guess yourself after the purchase. You will be happy either way.
    Every deed plants a seed.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Review

Gary,

I just recieved my May issue of Wood Magazine yesterday. On page 68 there is a review of 10 different portable planers. Unfortunately the Dewalt is not included in the review. Delta models 22-580 and TP400Ls are, along with other brands. The article makes for interesting reading. The Delta 22-580 is rated either A or -A in all categories. I don't know if this issue has reached the magazine racks in the stores yet. Get a copy and maybe it will help you make your decision.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Wood Magazine has claimed, in the article and to me personally, that DeWalt told them that they will have a new model coming out later this year and the 733 will be discontinued. It might be interesting to see what DW's new model has, Will it be two-speed? What will be the price point?

George

I too went through the same thing. I decided on the Dewalt, largely in part to the rebate (although I got the jig saw instead of $50). I love it, after adjustment there is rarely any snipe. Both Wood and American Woodworker (I think) gave the Delta high marks.

If I was in the market ...

I would go Delta. There's a simple reason, figured woods.

I have a Ridgid planer. So far, I have only used figured wood once, but had tons of tear out. So, I changed to a fresh set of blades and it planed out reasonably well. Then I cleaned and put back the semi-dull ones that work fine in normal wood. My plan is to always keep a set of nice new sharp blades around for figured woods. Since it only takes a few minutes to change the knives, no big deal. I don't think I any DW owners would want to change blades to plane 1 board. I've never done it, so I don't know what it's like to change blades on a DW. But, I've read/heard it is much more difficult.
    I think the Delta has indexed knives, plus a slower feed speed. With a slower speed and a fresh set of blades, I may have gotten even better results.
    Last edited by JayStPeter; 03-25-2003 at 12:14 PM.
    Jay St. Peter

I just got a Delta

... so can't give you a good review yet, but this is my first experience with a planer and I was impressed that I took it out of the box, installed a couple of handles, set the depth, and fed a piece of wood. I got a beautifully planed surface. No snipe (or any other bird for that matter).

My main point of reference is that my brother has a DeWalt and he's had to replace the motor. I think DeWalt furnished the parts, but still a hassle. I don't know if this is typical or not.

I got my Delta 22-580, 2 speed, 13" at Lowes for $447.
    This above all - To thine own self be true. Wm Shakespear - Hamlet

My bro bought the dewalt and i tried it out while visiting a few weeks agao , i have a rigid i bought a couple months agao and i dont really see to much diffrence in them so iguess it would boil down to personal prefrence and price. I like the idea of a full lifetime warenty on my rigid for 70 dollars more than the dewalt , there again personal preferance. I have run about 100 bf of nice figured cherry and about 50bf of walnut andabout 100bf of realynice curly /birdseye maple and about 300bf of some spectacular juniper thru mine with no problems atall. And thats my.02 worth.ps havent changed blades yet and still cuts like new.
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

I have the DeWalt and really, really, really like it. I have no experience with any other planer. Did I say I really, really, really, liked it??? I use it more than I ever thought I would.
    Lynn J. Sonier