Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help cutting 6" hole

Help cutting 6" hole

I have the need to cut several 6" holes in sheets of hardwood plywood.
    What is the best way of cutting such an hole? Is there a 6" hole saw? The problem I see with a router is mounting a template without damaging the plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by "Gary Smith" View Post
    I have the need to cut several 6" holes in sheets of hardwood plywood.
    What is the best way of cutting such an hole? Is there a 6" hole saw? The problem I see with a router is mounting a template without damaging the plywood.
    Use a fly cutter.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Hi Gary, a template could be attached to the plywood with double sided tape, and then a router could trim it to final size.

Regards, Rod.

+1 on the fly cutter. Also called a "trepan" (not sure of the spelling). The beam can be replaced to make almost any size hole. I've used them to cut REALLY big holes in all types of metal, and, when I get the woodworks going, expect to use them again. Really large diameters are aided by an outrigger opposite the cutting knife. Basically a bearing on the other end of the bar that will keep the knife from deflecting out and making a tapered cut
    Mickey
    Trying to get my Sketchup chops up to illustrate.

I was one of those fools that bought a roto zip when they came out. Acually I have a craftsman version. It came with a whole slew of attachments. One of the attachments happens to be a circle cutting jig. That tools is worthless except for that jig. I have found nothing that works better for cutting perfect larger circles (bigger than a hole saw). If you can find one of those it is really slick. Drill a hole in the center plunge your bit and turn the tool, slick.

Why not a router??? Use double sided tape to hold template. Have to cut a template though but that is easy with a bandsaw or scrollsaw. You do not want to pay for a 6 inch hole saw. Or you can use a router with a circle cutting jig.
    John T.

I would also have suggested carpet tape to hold a router template, but I have had it tear out plywood when removing it. That is Garys' concern.
    A router with a circle jig would also work well. I use them often.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I say use a router, make the circle in MDF or the like and then tape it down.
    Put a trim bit in with the bearing on bottom and go for it.

The best tape that I have found is from Eagle, it comes off clean and also hold very well.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v447-7150/adhesives

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Starrett and Milwaukee both make 6" hole saws so they are available on Amazon. Kind of pricey though unless you will use it many times.

James

Although I've used double stick tape for the jig described I would think a bit here. The tape I have might rip the veneer right off . I make an oversized pattern with a hole in the middle and clamp it where I need it -no glue, nails, or tape residue. This way you can cut a hole about any where and any size. The fly cutter would be limited to the size of drill press (shaft to hole) and not as clean. Sometimes I make a template on the lathe first to make the hole on a bigger board.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    Starrett and Milwaukee both make 6" hole saws so they are available on Amazon. Kind of pricey though unless you will use it many times.

James
    You need a lot of power out of a drill to use a big hole saw like that. I nearly broke my wrist when using a 4" holesaw when it caught, I would hate to see what a 6" would do. A fly cutter is a good option, or a router template.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    You need a lot of power out of a drill to use a big hole saw like that. I nearly broke my wrist when using a 4" holesaw when it caught, I would hate to see what a 6" would do. A fly cutter is a good option, or a router template.
    A fly cutter is an option if it can be done with a drill press or similar machine. I don't think it even comes close to being an option if the tool is a hand held drill motor. Likewise, I don't think a 6" hole saw is a hand held option.

Router and template if the hole location in the sheet can't be reached with a drill press. Hog it out with a saber saw and clean up with router and template.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

If you're worried about damaging the plywood with tape, I would use the template to make a hole in some scrap, and then clamp that to the sheet as your new template. Use a trim bit with a bearing and cut. Alternately, use the trim bit to duplicate the template, and then use the collar to make the hole.

That's probably what I'd try first because it seems simple, and I'm lazy

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post

James
    I had a need, and got a couple hole saws (Starrett), with the removeable arbor. After that initial investment, I get an additional saw as/when the need arises.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

re: fly cutter

One thing to remember with the fly cutter. Wait until it stops turning BEFORE you reach for the part. I know it's obvious, but just keep saying this to yourself as you shutdown the drill press. Guaranteed you will catch yourself from mangling your hand someday. The instinct to shut off the press and grab the part is really deeply ingrained. I've caught myself twice thanks to my fly cutter mantra.