Thread: What kind of saw is this?

What kind of saw is this?

I wonder if anyone know what this saw is? I told Sandy I thought it was a pizza cutter... :crazy:

Poking around on the Internet, Sandy came upon the following saw at the Goodwill auction site:

I hope you can still see the image at the following link: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewitem.asp?ItemID=5221062

My thanks to all.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Al,
    Looks like a pizza cutter to me, or veggie chopper. I'll have a slice please.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Hmmm... I agree! But the Disston part is puzzling...

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

I don't know my saws too well, but my guess is that a once normal saw found its way into the hands of an industrious pizza shop owner. Poor thing .

Home made ulu?

I think its a home made flooring saw, or possibly one made to cutting inlays.

Blog Entries
    Maybe a modified flooring saw?

it doesn't appear to have any teeth, I think someone modified a hand saw for a special purpose. saws with teeth and a rounded edge similar to the one in the picture, could be a rabbett saw, a surgeons saw for removing casts, most people would not have strong enough wrists to use it as a floor saw.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Blog Entries
    As Harry says, no teeth. It doesn't look like an original Disston handle either.

Most likely a creatively made chopper of some kind.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm with Tristan on this. An ulu. Used by Eskimos for skinning and many other things. Definately homemade. If they get thirty bucks for it, I will be turing most of my saws into ulus.
    Last edited by Dan Andrews; 09-25-2009 at 8:47 AM. Reason: additional thought

Homemade rounding knife, also known as head knife.

This looks like someone made their own head knife, sometimes referred to as a rounding knife, or a round head knife.

Is used for cutting and skiving leather.

--
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by Al Navas View Post
    I told Sandy I thought it was a pizza cutter... :crazy:
    Not crazy at all.

My local pizza shop uses the exact same tool to cut dough into measured portions for weighing. An old hand saw was cleaned, ground to fit the bottom of the mixer bowl, sharpened to a mild edge, and kept greased so the dough doesn't stick to it.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Sailmakers knife

In Sandor Nagysczalanczy's book "Tools: Rare and Ingenius", there is a similar tool. Page 204 shows what is described as a Sailmaker's knife that was made from a saw that was past its useful life. I would think a true sailmaker's knife would want more a of point than this one has but still they are similar.
    cheers
    Pat