Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a mint 1940s Unisaw worth?

What's a mint 1940s Unisaw worth?

Have been looking for an old one to restore, but I found one that doesn't need much, if any, work. Listed at $600, more than I wanted to spend, but probably can be justified since it's good to go. Just curious what the going rate is, as I haven't really been shopping for them all that long.

That's a reasonable price for one that works perfectly with a desirable motor, all the covers and handwheels, and a good fence. A lot of it depends on your area. 3 phase usually hurts the value by a couple hundred bucks. Missing covers are harder to find than the saws. I paid about that much for my early 70's vintage Uni with a 2hp 1ph motor, all the covers, table extensions, and a jetlock fence. I've since worn out the fence and replaced it with a Shopfox fence, and the motor bearings are starting to sound dry. I did have to true up my arbor a bit for runout, but that was a simple fix.
    Last edited by Josiah Bartlett; 09-24-2009 at 3:13 AM.

Sounds reasonable to me. I paid $400 for a basket case with a 3phase motor and Jet lock fence.

That's about what I paid. Mine had been restored, but need some electrical work.

That's close to what I have in mine after I bought a fiberglass goose egg motor cover reproduction. Think the other posters have it right. If it has all the covers and it's good to use right now, that isn't a legendary deal, but sounds like it's fair.

The dust door and motor covers are hard to come by, so knock money off your offer if it's missing either.

I had to add the goose egg to mine--fiberglass which works and looks great. Mine came with with a NIB Biesemeyer fence or a used Unifence, my choice.

I paid $250 for mine, but had to shell out $180 for the fence, $150 for the VFD (but I also use it on my jointer).

Luckily the dust door was free.

pics

Here's the saw: http://tinyurl.com/Unisaw
    Only 1HP motor, is that a concern?

Thanks for your replies. Going to check it out later today.

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's the motor I have on mine. It will occasionally bog down on heavy rips. I'd say its comparable to my late 90's made-in-USA contractor saw with a 2HP motor. The rest of the saw is much better than the contractor saw though.

The 1HP would be a killer for me. That's just too under powered. Some people will try to tell you that old 1HP motors are more powerful than new 1HP motors but that's simply not true.

If you buy it, I'd plan to add a more powerful motor, at least 2HP and 3HP would be better.

Unless you're just into old Unisaws, I'd spend the money to get a more modern one - maybe even going to one with a riving knife for safety.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Wow, was that thing ever used? Looks pristines. That caster set is awesome. Looks like a 1940's mobile base set.

600 is a great price. Complete Unisaws with the goose egg are going for 1000 - 1500 up in Mass.

You can always swap out the motor and still be well under the 1000 buck range.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schwake View Post
    Here's the saw: http://tinyurl.com/Unisaw
    Only 1HP motor, is that a concern?

Thanks for your replies. Going to check it out later today.

Scott
    For $600 you are buying the motor, switch and the Goose Egg cover. You are getting the saw and fence for free.

Goose egg Cover $200+
    Switch $150-200
    Motor $200-400

The Tennoning Jig that is listed in the craigslist add goes for $200+

Don't walk, RUN AND GET IT.
    Last edited by Tom Slupek; 09-24-2009 at 12:54 PM.

I was about to post the same. You could part that bad boy out and be ahead of the $600.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Some people will try to tell you that old 1HP motors are more powerful than new 1HP motors but that's simply not true.

Mike
    I wouldn't word it like that, but I understand where Mike is coming from.
    Now see where I come from. Manufacturers, changed the way they rated HP, for advertising. One RUNNING HP, is different from one PEAK HP. When that happened, you would see things with 1/2 hp motors, then someone started advertising 1HP PEAK, so consumers who didn't research, started buying what they perceived as the more powerful motor/item.
    1 HP = 476 watts (if my memory serves me correctly), use that to compare.
    You could probably sell that old motor pretty quickly to a restorer, on something like the OWWM forum. IF/WHEN you see the need to upgrade (are you going to be cutting 3" lumber all day, etc).