Thread: Acrylic (or other material)

Acrylic (or other material)

Hey guys (and gals) it's been a while...

I have a client that needs some parts cut out of Acrylic (he is not specifying Acrylic).

The parts will have a pattern engraved into them then the shape cut out.
    He wants the material to be black with the pattern in white.
    He is agreeable to the base material being White with a black laminate that gets lased to produce the pattern.

Here is my problem:
    Some acrylics are very brittle. These parts need to be able to withstand the shock of being dropped without breaking (extruded acrylic would shatter if dropped).
    Are there some better materials out there that can withstand being dropped?

We made some test parts out of
    LZ901M2P08 (Johnson Plastics)
    IPI LASERABLE MATTE
    BLACK/WHITE 2 PLY 1/8 (we need to make them out of 1/4")

The material is something called "Microsurfaced Impact Acrylic".
    The material feels very flexible and resiliant.
    Is this type of material less prone to shattering?

Thanks in advance for any help.

David
    Last edited by David Dustin; 09-20-2009 at 6:49 PM.
    PLS 3.60, CorelDraw X4, Full Adobe Maser Suite (oh yeah), 3ds Max, 6 Dell 690 Work Stations (and a host of other hardware).

That IPI can be laminated together to double the thickness.

You could use 1/4" Black ABS and color fill, but it's hard to get paint to stick to it. It will engrave but stays black, not even grayish like black acrylic.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I don't think you could shatter Rowmark or IPI if you dropped it off the Empire State Building. The term that you mentioned is the name that Rowmark use for almost all of their products. It's a modified acrylic that is flexible to some degree. Far more than acrylic. I have a client that we cut some objects for that have holes that get things pressed into them. The acrylic would shatter or crack, where as the IPI and Rowmark materials do just fine. We've made 10,000's of them and never heard of any of them cracking or breaking. Not a single one.

I think you're good with that, from what you described.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks guys!

David

Edit
    Does anyone know if IPI makes this material in 1/4"?
    I cant seem to find it if they do...
    Last edited by David Dustin; 09-21-2009 at 7:50 AM. Reason: added something
    PLS 3.60, CorelDraw X4, Full Adobe Maser Suite (oh yeah), 3ds Max, 6 Dell 690 Work Stations (and a host of other hardware).

I doubt it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.