Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Lumber...

Storing Lumber...

If you had the high ceilings as I do in the photo below...how would you store lumber?

I considered creating a vertical rack of some kind. Is that the best bet...The ceilings are 14 feet high. Yikes

Thanks for any suggestions in advance,

John G

I keep forgetting to upload my pictures...Shame on me!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 questions, is it a cantilevered rack or free standing? Are the walls secure/strong enough for cantilevered? Sheet stock storage, is that also in your plans?

Here is a link to a series of videos that show you how to build wall shelves. I built these on my 10 foot walls and they work great. I only use the top shelf for light stuff. These are strong and easy to build.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4420092_in...e-shelves.html

I was thinking was considering all options both leaning against the wall and also builing an angled support that sits on the ground. It is a pole barn an I would wonder about how much weight I could lean against it, maybe that would be a bad idea. I will eventually need sheet good storage so that is something I must consider in this project.

Thanks for the questions, really got me thinking.

JG

Did you consider having a 2 level storage area? Basically a stairway and loft for "upstairs" lumber and "downstairs" sheeting?
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

I try to maximize my shop space and, therefore, have several multifunctional surfaces. My lumber storage is housed under my SCMS. It is all built out of 2/4's and stores about 700 BF @ 14' long.

I like stuff that I can roll around in my shop. I have a big area, but I also use it for a lot of different stuff. So rolling various things out of the way is handy.

So I have considered building something like this for sheet goods:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00286R06G

But I really have no idea if I would like it, or if it would annoy me. I guess it would depend on how much in the way of sheet goods you were storing. The design doesn't seem like it would hold that much. Though I suppose you could always modify it for more full sheet (or cut sheet) storage if needed.

Looks like a good way to bend your sheet goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    Looks like a good way to bend your sheet goods.
    That's a pretty valid point. But then again, it really depends on the size you are storing and how long it is sitting there.

And not everyone has the space to store sheet goods perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grabowski View Post
    I was thinking was considering all options both leaning against the wall and also builing an angled support that sits on the ground.
    JG
    Don't. Will bend/bow. Bee there, cussed at that. Flat with supports @ 16" - 18" OC.

13. cantilever homemade

Hi Gang,

Anybody try to build a freestanding cantilever wood rack? The racks they use in lumber yards are of I beam construction. Thinking about building one but unsure how to size the I-Beam. Looking at the cantilever rack made of wood above, is it attached to the wall or free standing?

Good discussion,
    Steve.

Many Thanks...

Thanks to all for your insight into my dilemma...Special thanks to Leo Graywacz who sent me cad drawings of his design. I modeled mine after yours in a somewhat cheaper manner. I did not have the need (YOURS IS AMAZING!!) for what you have done being a humble hobbiest.

I have created mine from 2 x 6's to 8 feet and 12 feet wide. It is holding about 250 board feet of Cherry and 100 bd ft of Maple. I would suspect that it will hold about 200 more.

Thanks Again,

John G
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey, you copied my design!! Looks like it came out well and should do the job.

Just so you have perspective, my bottom rack which is 35" deep will hold about 1000-1100 BD FT of 15/16" skip planed wood. The upper racks will hold about 500 BD FT each. The capacity of the rack is about 3000 BD FT.

I doubt I will ever need to hold that much wood. I think I have had about 600 BD FT on the bottom rack at one time (Poplar 12"w+ 15-16'L). Not sure if I'd want to fill it up because of the weight.

Right now I probably have about 500-800 BD FT of various species of wood in the rack. Poplar, Soft Maple, Sapelle', Cherry, Cypress, Pine, Mahogany and a few odd balls like Curly Maple and Sycamore which I only have a few BD FT of.