Thread: mortiser challenges

mortiser challenges

I've acquired a mortising machine (bench top) and have exhausted my knowledge already. I find I am able to cut mortises in side and end grain, but when I tackle face grain, the arbor bores fine, but the chisel doesn't cut - what am I doing wrong?

I have had to sharpen every chisel I have gotten before it would cut right. Often that was just honing the outsdie edget o smooth it out but that helped a bunch.
    Also, setting the right gap between the auger and chisel is very important, especially in softer woods that want to bend and crush under the forces. I guess they make bigger chips or something but having the right clearance helps it cut better. I have a story on setting the gap at the link below if that would help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/setupmort.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Blog Entries
    I did the same thing. I used a glass plate and various grades of sandpaper to get a mirror like finish on the outside of my chisels, it made a world of difference using them.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Make sure the mortiser is tuned up properly (chisel sharp, bit at the correct height, etc).

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...el+Tuneup.aspx
    FineWoodworking has a few good articles too.

Also search around this site.

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Chisel quality and sharpness seem to make or break a mortiser. Offset of bit to chisel is on there but sharpness seems to be the first step.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I did the same thing. I used a glass plate and various grades of sandpaper to get a mirror like finish on the outside of my chisels, it made a world of difference using them.

same here - made a huge difference.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I bought the set of sharpening cones for sharpeining hollow chisels from Lee Valley. Check them out. Rockler also has a set for smaller chisels.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

sharpen it is

thanks - will get after sharpening - shouldaknown
    thanks esp for web references for the setup and maintenance and sharpening pages

O.T. ? for Rick.

In your avatar, a flying pig ? Or, whatizzit?

flying pig - it's that time
    Rick Humm - Aptos, CA