Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Question

Rotary Question

Hi all,

I've got an order for some champagne glasses for a wedding but we do not have a lens that will allow us to do flutes. My manual says the minimum diameter we can do with our lens is 3". My question is does anyone know how written in stone this is? I was looking at some tulip glasses with a 2 7/8" diameter but wondering if the 1/8" is gonna break me (literally). The manual says the reason for the restriction is to prevent the lens colliding with the item. I haven't done anything on the rotary except for a few wine glasses and I tried suggesting regular wine glasses but they want champagne flutes... Anyone know??

Thanks,

~Alicia
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

2. I have engraved stuff about 1" in diameter with rotary on a laserpro mercury, and i think the rotary attachment should be simular. You just have to keep the engraving far enough from the rotary attachment so that the lens doesnt hit it.

Are you going to engrave all the way around the glasses?
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

I will be engraving text with simple graphics on the glasses...kind of a weird deal but they want 4 names and a date. They are for a wedding and the bride and groom each have one child whom the other is also "marrying" ...not sure how that works lol. Anyway on a flute type glass I'm not really sure how that much text will look, I havent gotten the details yet and I'm kind of hoping for short names...but I'm guessing it's going to go at least most of the way around the glass.
    John & Alicia Love

Should be OK...I've done pens on mine. You might need a spacer though:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=rotary

Perhaps on the base or bottom of the glass?

Make the type circle around the base. Remember to reverse type when engraving on back side of glass.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the problem is not the head hitting the glass and breaking it but the head hitting the rotary attachment itself and thus causing an x motor error? If this is correct then shouldn't I be able to do champagne flutes since they are long and thin?

Here's a pic of what I'd like to use since I can't find the 9 oz tulip glasses anywhere that won't require me to buy an entire case and I only need 4...which means I'd either have to charge the customer more for the job than I think they will pay or I wouldn't profit on the job. I can get these locally pretty inexpensive and they sell them individually if this will work...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John & Alicia Love

I don't understand this very much... what does your rotary attachment look like? I can do pens on the rotary all day and my laser still has room to move. The rotary attachment itself is under whatever item I'm engraving, thus that would make it the "table" and it would be impossible for me to hit while engraving anything that wasn't a negative curve (which would be impossible )
    -Garrett Nors

45w Epilog Helix ♦ Dahlgren Wizzard 2000ST (currently down for the count) ♦ CorelDRAW X3 ♦ Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop CS4

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the problem is not the head hitting the glass and breaking it but the head hitting the rotary attachment itself and thus causing an x motor error?
    If your rotary is like mine, then yes. (see side view, below)
    If this is correct then shouldn't I be able to do champagne flutes since they are long and thin?
    Yes indeed. With the only proviso being that -if your rotary is like mine- you don't go too near to the top of the glass. Too near being defined as being the distance between where the laser beam comes out of the head and the left edge of the head, plus a bit for ramping. That's assuming your glass is in the same way as the diagram. And you can always use spacers if you want to laser the top of the glass.

@ Garrett- The Mercury (and presumably Pinnacle) rotary is different to the 'rest upon' type from other manufacturers. It's a rotating rubber chopped-off-cone-thing at one end, and a freely-rotating rubber pad at the other. The rubber pad moves in the x-axis and locks in place to secure the item to be lasered. There's pluses and minuses to the design. the big minus is that you ARE, at some point, going to smack the head against one end or another (I've done both) and earn yourself an x-motor error.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-18-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks Darren! My rotary attachment is, indeed, just like the diagram that you posted. I will go with the regular champagne flutes and probably make a spacer so that I have less risk of hitting the head against the attachment.

One other question, John just informed me that the theme of the wedding is centered around the Texas flag and the customer wants a graphic engraved on the glass that is in the shape of Texas but shaded similar to the flag...Does anyone know if this type of shading would show up at all on glass? I haven't engraved anything except text and simple graphics before on glass so I'm just not sure. I guess worst case scenario is I buy an extra glass and try it but thought I'd ask since you all are so knowledgeable about so many things!

~Alicia
    John & Alicia Love

Glass engraving shows up white. The closest you're going to get, I think, it to use 2 different (densely packed) textures to represent the colours. Or if you wanted to be smug, you could use coloured rub'n'buff. Or glass paint.

EDIT: Reconsidering the size of your glasses and the shape of Texas, the result is going to be too tiny to mess around with like that. I'd just put the lines and the star in and leave it to the customer to imagine their own colours.

EDIT AGAIN: I noticed your glasses curve in a little. You can get 'round the bend' as it were by adjusting the head up and down a little and running the job several times. If you're not careful, it's possible to go too low and knock the glass out. Done that. Also if trying to go low, I unscrew the autofocus probe and stow it in the 'up' position (while being incredibly careful to remember to put it back down again when finished!!!!).
    This bit may not be true for your rotary because mine is vintage; but if I use the up/down on the rotary, mine can't find the home position again. So I don't.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-19-2009 at 1:01 AM.

That's kind of what I was thinking on the graphic...maybe just an outline with the lines and a star...Thanks again Darren!

Our auto-focus seems to have gotten broken at some point so it's always in the up position and we manually focus anyway...but you are right I remember before it broke it getting in the way on objects in the rotary attachment.
    John & Alicia Love

My Spirit uses the same type of Rotary attachment, like on the picture. I'm doing a lot of glasses especially champagne flutes for weddings and never had problems with them. My flutes have a diameter of 60mm (on the top) since the flutes are not straight at the top I don't get near the rotary with my laser head.

Just explain to your customer that you can't fit a bulldog in a dollhouse and try to get a compromise by putting just the names on glasses and making an additional bottle of champagne or even better a champagne cooler/bucket where you can easily engrave the flag theme

these are the glasses I'm engraving

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

You had better watch the lens carriage. What lens do you have? If the longest focal length you have is the 2" that comes std with that machine, you may be pushing it. I have the 2.5" and 4" lens and if that is the glass that it looks like you may need the 2.5". I have raised the auto focus out of the way to get clearance but be careful doing that as it can get you in trouble later down the road. You can get close to the glass with any lens but what will get you is when the head is sweeping the y axis it will move past the image area and can hit the rotor head. focus on the glass then manually move the head all the way to left to be sure it clears.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Null View Post
    If your rotary is like mine, then yes. (see side view, below)

Yes indeed. With the only proviso being that -if your rotary is like mine- you don't go too near to the top of the glass. Too near being defined as being the distance between where the laser beam comes out of the head and the left edge of the head, plus a bit for ramping. That's assuming your glass is in the same way as the diagram. And you can always use spacers if you want to laser the top of the glass.

@ Garrett- The Mercury (and presumably Pinnacle) rotary is different to the 'rest upon' type from other manufacturers. It's a rotating rubber chopped-off-cone-thing at one end, and a freely-rotating rubber pad at the other. The rubber pad moves in the x-axis and locks in place to secure the item to be lasered. There's pluses and minuses to the design. the big minus is that you ARE, at some point, going to smack the head against one end or another (I've done both) and earn yourself an x-motor error.

Excellent illustration!!
    -Garrett Nors

45w Epilog Helix ♦ Dahlgren Wizzard 2000ST (currently down for the count) ♦ CorelDRAW X3 ♦ Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop CS4