Thread: Small Scale Silk Screening, ie License Plates

Small Scale Silk Screening, ie License Plates

I can print License Plates using Sublimation, or Laser Engrave them, or use CLTT, or cut vinyl with my FC7000..... I was thinking that I might get better UV Life and less Vinyl Weeding if I could do small scale Silk Screening......

Anyone here do Silk Screening? I have a small market of Fire Department License Plates that I am trying to fill. Say Printing on White Reflective Vinyl. Yes, I could buy a multi thousand dollar color printer but that is not in the budget yet.... Any pointers?

AL

Edit..... You Tube is my new friend.....
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 09-17-2009 at 11:46 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I don't know about your area, but here there are many places to get small screenprint jobs done. I used to do some but the mess and smell was just too nasty for the amount I did so I always send it out. The problem with small jobs is that there is so much setup, burning the screen, which is the same for 1 or 10,000 that the price each drops dramatically as the quantity goes up.

Another alternative is engraved plastic strips made to fit onto the frames.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I found the answer to my Silk Screen needs..... Over on Engraving Etc. I saw a post about a screen making machine and while searching the model on line found a T Shirt forum with an interesting You Tube Link.... Check this out.... My answer to the License Plate Screening.... And I have a FC7000 so I am all set...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXmmXkvh4pI

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I worked in a screen printing shop a long time ago, and one thing they used for short runs, or development runs was called RubyLith(?) It was essentially screen material with some sort of plastic(red) bonded on one side. One simply cut through the plastic with a tool supplied by the manufacturer and peeled away the positive image. Bear in mind that this was in the early 70's and I was not involved in screen making. I was a lowly squeegee puller...but I did watch and learn while on break. Don't know if the material is still available, but it was an inexpensive alternative to photo burned screens, though not nearly as durable.

let me know about anythin that needs screenprinting, been doing it 18 years but no textiles.... wood, plastic, stainless, aluminum.. up to 36"x 24" with the ability to go larger.
    Saber 408, Mutoh rockhopper, epilog 36ext, M&R and Sias screenpresss, gerber edge, gerber enVision, gerber hs15

Thanks for the offers...

I make street signs with the electro cut blue and green film that goes over the High Intensity white blanks.

I was thinking of trying that film for art over a screen. Not sure how well it would work and how the glue would hold... Might not be able to get it off too...

My shop does not have running water, it's near the house so screening and washing could be the challange... Farming it out really looks like the right thing to do.... Was going to try the electro cut film over a reflective license plate too... I would need to over coat it with something either a spray or film as I don't think it will hold up to driving and rain. I should try it....

I have a 24 inch roll of Blue, Green and Red Electro Film... It's already a year old... That was not a good investment....

In the shop and working... OK... 4:15 PM... Liberty Call.... I am out of here....

Happy New Year... There is always tomorrow....

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 12-31-2009 at 5:10 PM.

Michaels Craft Store sells a silk screen printer thingy, and materials, for small run silk screening. Looks cool, but I'm too busy using what I've got, to learn another thing!

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Thanks Dave.... I know the feeling... too many toys and too little time....

Happy New Year.

AL