Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PA road trip for cherry

Mike,
    That would be great, Thank you

I'm probably too late here, but Gutchess Lumber in Latrobe, PA has tons of great wood at the best prices around Western PA. They have a lot of curly maple along with the standard species in all sizes and lots of cherry. They also have an area in the warehouse that has cut offs and such for $1 a board. Not bf, but board. I got a piece of ash that was almost 3 inches thick, about 7 inches wide and 4 feet long for $1.

Gutchess Lumber Warehouse
    185 Devereux Drive
    Latrobe, PA 15650

P: 724-537-7600
    F: 724-537-7601

Bryan,

You may have some reason for going all the way to PA, but along the way, you might stop up and see Steve at Hickory and Oak. He's located off I-94 in Southwestern Michigan. Good dude, with good prices. Call first as he operates out of his house...

http://www.hickoryandoak.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Now, I know you said that you will go anywhere in PA, but I am about 35 minutes south of PA near the thinest part of Western MD. We have a couple of mills around here. There is a local one that I use, one guy, one saw (band saw type). He will kiln dry, air dry, or probably even give you green. Great guy. I've brought him wood from my property to sell to him, and also to cut and dry for me. I would highly recommend him. If you are interested, I'd be happy to PM you with his name and number. BTW, how much and what sizes do you want/need?

Hi Mike, I live in Maryland and would be interested in the mill contact info. Would you mind posting it or PM me with the info? Thanks!

Name and number of my Mill guy

To all those who requested this info, sorry it took so long to post this.

I just got off the phone with the guy that has a mill near by me. He said it is okay to post his name and number. Good sport that he is, he said that you can call Woodmizer (the company that he got his sawmill from) and they can give you the name and number of your nearest Mill (of course that list is of their customers only... )

His name is Joe Hager, and you can reach him at 301 432 4614. Yes, he does travel to you, but I don't know how far he will go. Or you can go to him.

He's a good guy. Honest. The kind you can forge a relationship with. Whenever I call, he remembers me. That's the kind of service I like...
    I drink, therefore I am.

pa. cherry lumber

best source i have fornd is groff & groff lumber in quarryville, pa.

By all means, Groff and Groff is an amazing place. That is where we got all our wood at my old job. Really nice people, great selection. A bit of a hike from where I am, for the little I would need...as opposed to what we went through in a professional shop.

My dining room table is a 4 X 8 slab of Walnut from G&G.

The mill I just gave a number for is more of a place that is a guy with a mill. He has some wood if you are looking to buy. Not nearly the amount or selection that G&G has. He is good for getting your own stuff cut up and dried. Or he can get you the basics (Oak, Cherry, Maple, Poplar, etc) if you have an order.

Here is a pic of my DR table. Not a great pic, but a really nice table. You probably can't see the Wenge butterflies, the curly parts, the bird's eyes, and burl. (We commissioned my old boss to make this for us about 3 years before I ended up working for him.) It was amazing to end up working for this guy. Quite a craftsman. GREAT boss.

EDIT: Sorry, it won't let me upload the photo...must have done it here once before...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Fellows,
    Bob recommended this sawer a few months ago so I thought I would give them a try. Well, he was right, the fellows that own the mill are great guys. I was very pleased. I purchased 400 bf of 6/4 poplar from then and it was all nice stuff. It's not on the beaten path but I felt it was worth the trip. Not a small mill at all but, it has small mill prices. These guys have a few million bf on stock of many domestic woods.

814-845-2277 is there phone no. I found that they sometimes are in the yard so they might not be available to answer right away.

Ben

QUOTE=Bob Hallowell;1216710]Guys sorry it will be monday til I can get the number, I have to pick up the local trade magazine. It's always in there

Bob[/QUOTE]

I am just curious why drive all the way to PA for wood is PA cherry special. There are a lot of small mills in mn and wi that would be much closer.

Phil

He likes us better. Ppppppppppptttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    I drink, therefore I am.

PA Cherry special

Philip,
    PA cherry is darker and red in color. Most of the cherry in Iowa is pinkish. And you kind find small mills that charge .60 a bdft. I also like the small mills because the wood has more character - which the bigger mills don't bother with, they only care about stright grain.

Bryan,

What ever sawmill that you choose please let us know what saw mill and when you are coming. If I'm available and your in the area we could meet for lunch. Maybe some of the other fellows in the Pittsburgh area If you choose this area would like to also. The least we could do for a fellow woodworker coming to PA. for wood who lives in Iowa.

I believe I have read that 70 percent of the cherry in North America comes from a 100 mile radius of Kane Pennsylvania. Kane is a very small town in the middle of the Allegheny National Forest in northwestern PA. A very nice area for any type of outdoor activity.

Have a good trip Bryan

Ben
    Last edited by Ben Abate; 01-02-2010 at 2:36 PM.