Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avanti/Diablo/Ridgid blades

Avanti/Diablo/Ridgid blades

I was at Home Depot yesterday and noticed that are now carrying the Avanti and Avanti Pro saw blades. I looked at the back of the Avanti package, and it gave the following ranking:

Good: Avanti
    Better: Avanti Pro
    Best: Diablo
    Superior: Ridgid

Well, despite best not being best, I was pretty surprised to see the Ridgid listed. I looked at a Ridgid, and sure enough, it's made in Italy.

Anyone have any experience with Ridgid blades?

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Wow thanks for that heads up. I never hear any talk about Ridgid blades being good so I guess I will have to give them a try next.

Hopefully they will at least show some improvement over my Irwin Marthons and won't cost as much as the boutique blades. heh

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    Wow thanks for that heads up. I never hear any talk about Ridgid blades being good so I guess I will have to give them a try next.
    That was pretty much my reaction as well. I found it a little hard to believe that Freud was marketing a superior blade under the Ridgid name, for precisely this reason. Freud has brand recognition, and while Ridgid makes perfectly fine tools, I don't really think of them for saw blades.

Cheers,

Chris

I saw the same thing. I was surprised to see Freud use the Rigid name for their top of the line blade.

John

I bought the combo blade recently for my Uni. Cuts very smoothly for rips and crosscuts. No tearout when cutting crosscuts on plywood. Smooth enough rips for straight to glue up? Eeeeeeeehh....I guess you could, but certainly not as smooth as a jointer.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I am beginning to wonder, if Freud, sold off some of its names, since it was bought by Bosch.

I have the RIDGID "Titanium" 50-tooth blade on my saw and it's very good. I bought it on sale a few months ago for $35. Not sure how many sharpenings it'll take, though.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    I was at Home Depot yesterday and noticed that are now carrying the Avanti and Avanti Pro saw blades. I looked at the back of the Avanti package, and it gave the following ranking:

Good: Avanti
    Better: Avanti Pro
    Best: Diablo
    Superior: Ridgid

Well, despite best not being best, I was pretty surprised to see the Ridgid listed. I looked at a Ridgid, and sure enough, it's made in Italy.

Anyone have any experience with Ridgid blades?

Cheers,

Chris

AFAIK, Freud does make the Ridgid Titanium series, though it's tough to get corporate confirmation. They always appeared to be roughly on par with the Diablo and TK/Avanti series, but I suppose it's possible that they're more on par with the Freud Industrial line, or have recently undergone some upgrades. The Freud Industrial, Diablo, and TK/Avanti series have always been made on the same equipment using the same materials, and were all made in Italy... the Industrial line has larger carbide and a wider selection. The carbide on the Titanium series doesn't appear to be as large as that on the Industrial line to me, but I suppose it's possible that they're including some additional features in order to justify the "Superior" label vs Diablo's "Best". I did note that some of the Titanium series blades feature the double side grind that's found on the Freud P410 Fusion, and I think at least one other blade....possibly the LU85.

Any possible upgrades or marketing ploys to the Ridgid line are pretty small potatoes compared to what else is going on. It now appears that the "Avanti" and "Avanti Pro" lines are made elsewhere, namely China and they bear no resemblance to the Freud Avanti blades we've come to respect as good value blades...it appears to me that they're made by B&D because they're nearly identical to the Oldham contractor and DeWalt contruction blades, have cheap stamped steel bodies, sloppy brazing, and tiny pieces of carbide. Neither the Oldham contractor series or DW series 20 construction blades are suitable for fine woodworking IMHO. I'm not convinced that these blades even involve Freud at all other than possibly rights to the "Avanti" name, but I'm just speculating... Not a good trend for unsuspecting consumers either way.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 09-15-2009 at 8:29 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I did a double take when I saw the new "Avanti" blades that look just like the Oldham blades, package an all. They are even in the same spot on the shelf. Sure enough, made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jeffery View Post
    I did a double take when I saw the new "Avanti" blades that look just like the Oldham blades, package an all. They are even in the same spot on the shelf. Sure enough, made in China.
    You and me both....and they're pretty much junk blades no matter where they were made. They're just not in the same league as the former Avanti stuff. I have no issue with HD offering a cheap construction grade blade, but I am concerned that people will confuse them with the good "Avanti" blades. It's also likely to tarnish the reputation of the Avanti name in time when more people figure it out.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Maybe it has been a while, but Oldham was made in New Zealand or someplace like that.

When Avanti started appearing in HD, they were made in China, but the last Avanti Pro I looked at was still made in Italy, as were the Diablos. I don't think the whole line is going to China.

Chris

blade

For what it's worth, I had an Avanti blade (the chrome one) and it lasted a Looooong time in my TS. You know Freud has to be making or marketing the Ridgid now or they would never list it as better than theirs.

Recently, HD had "two-packs" of Avanti Pro blades on "special." Looked at the back, and Avanti Pro is headquartered in Atlanta, same as HD. Freud is located in Italy, with North American headquarters in High Point NC. Bosch probaly sold HD the name. Another one bites the dust!

Since this has become a brand associated with HD. I smell clearance prices for the "good" Avanti blades coming to a Lowe's near you.

James

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    It now appears that the "Avanti" and "Avanti Pro" lines are made elsewhere, namely China and they bear no resemblance to the Freud Avanti blades we've come to respect as good value blades...
    As usual, Scott is all over this (always appreciate your input Scott). I had seen this post and so took notice last time I was in HD. The current Avanti and Avanti Pro are the merest shadow of the Avanti blades I have from several years ago. The current Avanti badged blades look like they might take one very cautious sharpening.

I'm a bit disillusioned but, it will pass. I will have to refocus a bit and use care when I make my next blade purchase as opposed expecting "the usual" based on the name or model. No big deal, just something to be aware of.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler