Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show your Krenov Plane

Show your Krenov Plane

In honor of James Krenov's life and contributions to woodworking, would anyone like to show a Krenov style plane that you have made?

Your Krenov-inspired furniture would be fun too.

Here's the first plane I tried. The blade was from an old woody, cut off with a hack saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

How about Krenov inspired planes?
    Here is one using a blade from a kit,

Here is James Krenov and Derek Cohen inspired mitre plane

Here is a Krenov inspired jointer with an adjustable mouth.

This is a bit more pure Krenov that I am currently making out of osage.

Bob

Bob, these are beautiful. And yes - Krenov inspired planes are exactly what I man. What is the wood on your first photo? That osage orange is just stunning! Also, could you show how you made the adjustable mouth?

Brian

The first one is mesquite with ash sides.
    The adjustable mouth came from making a Krenov and thinking that if I could slide the front back and forth it would be adjustable.

The thing is amazingly simple. I used a table saw to remove the wood in the center. The bed started out as the curve from the table saw's blade.

The body is like a tuning fork with a bridge for a grip. The bridge holds the front section in place.

The front grip has the adjustment screw.

It is mesquite, so it is pretty much as stable as wood can get. Initially I tuned it and it was great, but then it was tweaky for a few months. Now it is pretty much dead on all the time. I have not actually adjusted the mouth in about two years.

Bob

Here are a couple "Krenov like" planes I made. The first is using an iron from a Japanese style plane and is made from red oak. The second is using an iron from Ron Brese and is made from padauk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Strawn View Post
    This is a bit more pure Krenov that I am currently making out of osage.

Bob
    Not to go off thread, but Wow, that stuff looks like it must be a lot of fun to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    Here are a couple "Krenov like" planes I made. The first is using an iron from a Japanese style plane and is made from red oak. The second is using an iron from Ron Brese and is made from padauk.
    Those are delightful planes, Jeff!

This block has not been as bad as some. Osage can be rough to work at times.

Bob

Here's a photo of my Krenov plane. I used ash for the body,purpleheart for the sole and a Hock iron.

Here is a one month old 12" Velvet Mesquite smoother with 2" iron....should darken up quite a bit....

Here is a plane JK sent me a couple years ago. It was a daily user up until he started to slow things down. Fairly crude from a visual point of view but it sings very well. I have never tried this nor do I know why JK did this but there is a 1/2" wide piece of blue tape laid in the throat flush along the bottom edge between the balde and the wood.

The blue tape pushes the blade forward a little as a simple way to control the size of the mouth.

This is mine!

This is mine, I just finished it yeterday and I'm realy please with it... It actualy work bether than any plane I have and I do have a few! I think they will be metal plane for sale shortly!!!

I used Hard Maple with a little birds eye figure, the wedge is myrtle from Tasmenia and a Hock blade! I didn't have a piece thick anough so I used three piece of 1" thick to start with...

Very nice, David!

From Firewood

This plane was made from a piece of Oak firewood that I left dry in my shop for a few years. I did have to purchase a piece of 01 flat stock for the blade but made the chip breaker and blade screw from salvaged shop scrap.

No finish has been applied to this plane but I may use some shellac or BLO on it later.

The plane was made by following Davis Finck's book "Making and Mastering Wood Planes" and works very well. I hope to make more planes similar to this one using firewood from the same tree.

Don

I would love to be abble to use fire wood... but I'm not sure that jack pine would make a great plane