Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shepard tool company planes

Beautifil work guys. Looks like the finished product was well worth the effort.
    How does it perform ?

Good Question

We realized after it was built that the iron is not hardened yet (over the weekend). We will flip a smoother iron sometime this week and put up another photo.

This is actually the second mitre we built. We rushed through a proto back in the fall but it had a throat you could drive a truck through.

Give us the weekend - we should have some results. I am out consulting this week.

Had a great day today though - ran some Remmington gunstocks through a moulding process with good results.

Regards,

Doug

The New Chariot

A few weeks back, I was feeling a bit creative and so I stayed up and came up with three new planes. This chariot os the first of the three. I think as a kit it will be low-cost and a sub-3-hour job.

Good for someone trying to get their feet wet in dovetailed infill planes.

Cheers,

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Shoulders

Here are some of the new shoulders, the 3/4" size and the 1 1/4" size ... the venerable old 1 1/2" size in in the rear.

Doug

Unhappy Hey... Not Fair Doug

Your producing new planes quicker than I can afford then! They look great, I never could resist a 'set'. Do you offer marriage guidance as an option with the kits?

Hi Paul;
    You just have to make your spouse understand that buying and building planes contributes to your mental and physical well being and thus your happiness becomes her happiness.
    As her happiness is paramount and your only " raison de etre"
    you simply must buy more and more planes.
    In fact your happiness is exponential to the the number of planes you have so her fastest route to personal Nirvana is through your continued purchases of planes.
    Did you see the little bullnose shell at the bottom of the picture.
    To our knowledge it will be the first fully infilled dovetailed steel bullnose the world has ever seen.
    Regards
    Ben ( whose personal happiness comes form providing a route to Nirvana for the spouses of woodworkes the world over)

I had looked at it quick and assumed it was a shell for a chariot. How many plane types does that make now?

P.S. You haven't met Julia yet. She refuses to understand the differencxe between a screwdriver that is used to open paint cans and a smooth plane. Each counts as a 'one' on the too many tools roster.

Well Paul;
    Let's see now. By type we have a shoulders, smoothers, jointers , panels, mitre's and the wee bullnose--so 6 types.
    If we go by variations, 14 with a couple of more sizes of bullnose planned--a mini -mitre , miniatures of the whole plane line---oh heck--just call it a whole bunch. Come to think of it our product line is getting pretty broad--4 types of drawknives--a set of bench chisels--a set of carving chisels--some awls and scribes.
    Working on tenon and dovetail saws for the fall oh and almost forgot about the thumbplane and the rod-makers plane and maybe some cabinetmakers screwdrivers and a bow saw.
    Regards
    Ben
    P.S.--You clearly haven't trained your spouse properly--teach her the Mantra--Hand Tools are the road to Nirvana--Hand Tools are the Road to Nirvana--Must let Paul buy more, more , more

Enticement

Hi Paul:

Here is a leetle something Ben did to entice you...

Doug

End Grain War in Cocobolo

You could say to Julia that with one small contribution you could be the guy to end the grain war in torn out Cocobolo. It is your duty to humankind, not withstanding all of the innocent Cocobolians!

Regards,

Doug

Can't wait to build mine.

Looks like those irons are sharp, did they give as good tearout results on Ben's finger as they did on the Coco?

Ben has been placed on Probabtion...

The actual finger injury was sustained in a chisel altercation. I recall having said that I considered my Marples Pattern-makers bevels as Samurai swords however, we did not spend the afternoon "bevel fencing" about the shop. No... this was done when Ben was alone, and left to his own devices in a room full of dangerous chisels and other pointy things.

In order to keep Ben from hurting himself again, we have purchased RH and LH Rawlings Trappers and duct-taped them to Ben's hands. Ben is only allowed in the shop on weekends now and only when Rajiv and I are in attendance.

In all seriousness folks Ben did himself pretty badly with an extremely sharp chisel doing a classic "dont do that" pry operation on a brass nail. Alone, he took out both the vein and the tenon in his left hand forefinger. I got a call on my cellphone from Ben as he was driving himself to the hospital to go in and cleanm the blood off the plains he was finishing or it would become permanent ( a craftsman to the core he is). He underwent microsurgery last week (his tenon had retracted down to his wrist) and will be out for six weeks. He let his actions be known last week on one of the forum's to remind others not to let their gaurd down.

Regards

Doug