Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Krenov

James Krenov

Just found out James Krenov passed on to that great woodshop in the sky. If you never read any of his books, you are missing a treat. He first introduced me to the concept of finding a special purpose in each piece of wood, just like Nakashima.

Krenov

Very sorry to hear it. He was an inspiration and teacher to a great many people and will be sorely missed.

Regards,

John

He will be missed. He was an inspirational woodworker.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

R.I.P.

This probably needs to be a sticky, with Sam Maloof.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Ditto on Greg's reply

"The Fine Art of Cabinet Making" is one of my favorite books on woodworking. He had a way with the written word, to look inside the heart and soul of the craft, as well as the mechanics. I bet it was great to take classes from him.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

rest in peace

Wow, two of the best gone for ever. Maloof and Krenov.
    Jim will live on in his work and inspiration, his name will be synonymous with fine craftsmanship forever.
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

I have not only agreed with this ideals with woodworking but I strive to one day develop them to his standards. It is a great loss to the woodworking community. While I never got a chance to meet him in person, I wish i had. This is truly sad news.

*tips his glass* You will be missed but your legacy will live on forever James.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Krenov was an interesting guy. I love his work.

He seems like quite an eccentric. He's very candid in this interview. He says many surprising things like "I’ve never made furniture professionally".

http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/or...s/krenov04.htm

The interview is fascinating. I expected him to be a sweet old guy. I was surprised . He seems a bit cynical.

I am speechless, RIP James Krenov

I have all his books and they're due for a reread. His work and attitude were an inspiration to many over the years. I'll probably never make anything as elegant as his work but I can still dream. Thanks Mr. Krenov!
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

It's always sad to loose one of "the great ones". JK was not my "favorite" woodworker but I always admired his commitment to his ideals and his refusal to "cut corners" or to "sell out". In this he was a lot like Sam. He certainly was an inspiration to many aspiring craftsmen.
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries

Unhappy In memoriam

I'm probably never going to build a "Krenov cabinet", but his work and books really have inspired me to work with wood. His belief that we should all aspire to have less furniture but to have truly inspiring exciting furniture can only benefit woodworkers and their patrons everywhere.

His books have made me think about my environment and make me want to surround myself with work by others and myself that provides sustenance in it's very presence every day.

Not surprised by the news, but still saddened.

His work was entirely legitimate but wasn't exactly my style, nor have I ever been moved to make a Krenov-style plane; I certainly acknowledge his dedication, though, and greatly admire his respect and thoughtfulness for the material, which Mike notes in his original post.