Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Woodworking Bench (Parts I & II of II)

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    This is an awesome workbench design and it is beautifully executed. Except for one thing. The little "foot pedal" thing with the string and wires? That's gotta go. It just does not measure up to the rest of the project and detracts from the whole. Sorry... I don't mean to belittle your effort which is far beyond anything I have ever attempted for my own shop. And it's a little thing really. Surely you can come up with something a bit more elegant? Other than that, I am ....well... shut my mouth!
    I agree! I spent hours thinking about that and have not yet come up with a release I like. You will notice what I said in the write-up, "I am not completely satisfied with the pedal arrangement . . . " I didn't even put finish on the pedals. It works but is too flimsy and doesn't fit with the overall look of the bench.

In operation there must be a bungee or flexible connection with the ratchets which don't release until weight is temporarily removed but it must be light enough that the pawls still engage by gravity. I have a couple of other configurations that I am working on.

That's a beautiful bench. Thanks for posting the details of how you built it. I agree with David about the foot pedal, but I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something fitting. Great job and very inspiring.

Very impressive. If I had a bench like that I'd have dinner parties in the shop.

I am impressed! Ingenious design.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

First, Impressive bench. Very nice work.

Second, do you have a pic of the jig you used to cut the teeth of the rack? Better yet do you have it in SU?

Third, Are you willing to post the SU file of the bench?

Blog Entries
    How fun. What a great bench. Very beautifully executed.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Alan -

Thank you for sharing this bench with us - it is fantastic! Several brilliant innovations along with tremendous desighn & craftsmanship (dt's are superb,etc...) make this one of the best benches ever produced here on Sawmill Creek.

You'll figure out the foot pedal.......perhaps something directly attached to the lower foot (centered) with the pedal pointing towards you -- that can be depressed and spring back up... Or a traditional pedal could be integrated into a 45* block attached and centered to the lower foot. Maybe a metal pedal, some springs, some stainless steel cable....etc....?

I play the drums and these types of foot pedals have a short chain that attaches the pedal to a cam that holds the beater. You could just extend the chain on up.......rambling ideas......

Again - well done...very, very cool bench!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Paulus View Post
    First, Impressive bench. Very nice work.

Second, do you have a pic of the jig you used to cut the teeth of the rack? Better yet do you have it in SU?

Third, Are you willing to post the SU file of the bench?
    Marty, thanks.

To answer your questions-

I never got around to drawing up the top, there are plenty of those already on the web, but I have the adjustable trestle base in SketchUp. I need to fix some errors (my SketchUp skills are still lacking) and revise it with a few changes I made during construction. Since I put a considerable amount of design and work into these, I thought I would try to sell the plans on Ebay. I don't think they would really sell well so decided I didn't want the hassle.

The jig to cut the ratchets is incredibly simple! It is nothing more than a large version of the most basic of box joint jigs.

In deference to my editor, rather than post them here, I will ask you to get your hands on the Dec/Jan issue, #145, which should be available around 1 Nov, of American Woodworker Magazine. It will include a two part article I wrote on how to build an adjustable height assembly table with a torsion box top mounted on my adjustable legs. Hopefully, it should provide enough detailed photos, diagrams, and instructions, to allow folks to build my legs as well as the torsion box top- my method is easier and quicker than following the David Marks/DIY or Wood Whisperer methods. The first article shows how to build the assembly table legs which, while not identical to my WW bench legs, are constructed similarly and work the same way. There should also be a video on either YouTube or the AWW website (or both) that shows how the legs operate. I plan to add video of the WW bench legs also. Depending on what my editor says, I may put the SketchUp drawing on the web as well.

I have a few other high priority things going on right now, so all I can say is stay tuned. Again, thanks for the compliments and interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall View Post
    Alan -

I play the drums and these types of foot pedals have a short chain that attaches the pedal to a cam that holds the beater. You could just extend the chain on up.......rambling ideas......

Again - well done...very, very cool bench!!
    Thanks.

In my younger days, I played at playing the drums . I also have been thinking about a version of the bass drum pedal or a high-hat cymbal pedal mechanism- but want to keep it simple.

Just an excellent job of both design and build on this bench, Alan. Fortunately I know what height I prefer but those adjustments give you some range. I have both a high assembly table and low assembly table as I do some pretty large carcass work. That bench could be used for the low assembly if you don't have room for 2 assemblies and a work-bench which fortunately I do..

Very nice indeed....
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Great bench! Sorry for the novice question...how do you lift the bench for height adjustment? It seems that the bench have to go up/down evenly both side due to the arrow grooves but you mentioned lifting one side at a time? maybe with a jack?
    update: ahh to answer my own question, perhaps the bench top is not attached to the legs so they can move independently?
    Last edited by Billy Trinh; 09-12-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Trinh View Post
    Great bench! Sorry for the novice question...how do you lift the bench for height adjustment? It seems that the bench have to go up/down evenly both side due to the arrow grooves but you mentioned lifting one side at a time? maybe with a jack?
    update: ahh to answer my own question, perhaps the bench top is not attached to the legs so they can move independently?
    Nope. The top is attached. I just lift one end at a time. The ratchet pawls disengage and freely click from notch to notch as I lift. They re-engage when I stop lifting and let is settle. As I lift, the table, upper leg assembly, and lower leg assembly all tilt. Since the lower leg assemble on the lifted end is free to slide. It does that, sliding down the upper leg until I stop lifting. The mating "V" surfaces are waxed to facilitate sliding.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 09-12-2009 at 3:25 PM.

Alan, after some time, is there any update on how much you actually adjust the height of the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by jay gill View Post
    Alan, after some time, is there any update on how much you actually adjust the height of the bench?
    I adjust it on a regular basis because I tinker as well as do woodworking. Sometimes I will stand at the bench with the work almost chest high, sometimes it will be lower for woodworking, but other times it is nice to be able to lower it so I can sit in my rolling desk chair while working. One thing I have discovered is that I don't need the full height/range I built into it.

Absolutely amazing bench! Beautiful work and great design. You are the best!