Thread: One Big Pumpkin

One Big Pumpkin

Okay, I know this isn't woodworking related but this is an off topic forum. Plus, I couldn't restist showing them to ya'll. These are the 2 biggest pumpkins ever grown. The smaller by Dan Carlson and Marc Peterson, the larger by Bruce Whittier. Keep in mind neither of these giants broke the current world record(as of September 2004) of 1385 lbs. by Steve Daletas set last year because of penholes in the Whittier pumpkin and a split in the Carlson/Peterson pumpkin. For more information on giant pumpkin growing check out www.bigpumpkins.com. It is a pretty cool website, and my bigpumpkins name is Jake Byrd, you can do a search for me on there. Anyway, here are the pictures:

Here is Mr. Daletas with his 1385 lb world record

And last but definatly not least Mr. Carlson(the guy sitting on the truck) and Mr. Peterson(the guy standing up) loading their 1432 lb. pumpkin onto the truck with a forklift. And just for refrence, that is a full size Ford F-250 3/4 ton pickup.

Pretty cool, huh?
    Jake Byrd

Oops, I really can't leave out Mr. Whittier and his wife with his 1485 lb giant. This is the biggest ever grown!

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Gallery/G...0&%20Bruce.JPG
    Last edited by Jake Byrd; 09-13-2004 at 5:24 PM.

Oh well, it won't let me put the picture. Sorry if I am taking up to much space. You will just have to check the link.

Jake Byrd

UPDATE!! New World Record weighed Oct. 2. 1446 pounds by Al Eaton of Richmond, Ontario. Here is a picture:Photo Credit David McCallum. You can click on the picture for more of that pumpkin.

Hope ya are interested. PM me if you want some giant pumpkin seeds. They are free, all shipping on me.

See Ya,
    Last edited by Jake Byrd; 10-15-2004 at 1:11 PM. Reason: Needed to add something
    Jake Byrd

Pretty cool, Jake! Now, I just want to see the size of the pie made with one of these!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Wink Surprise in pumpkins

Really cool Jake! It is hard to believe that pumpkins get that big. I'm with John, I want to see the pie...

A few years ago I was in a major produce distributors warehouse during pumpkin season. Pumpkins are delivered in large wooden boxes the same size as a pallet. There was a commotion in the receiving area of the warehouse and people were running every which way.

Turns out a box of pumpkins was being unloaded from a truck and suddenly a skunk jumped out of the box, a very angry and smelly skunk. Turns out there was a pumpkin in the box with a large hole in it and apparently the skunk was inside. Never found out if skunks like to eat pumpkin or if it was using it for a home. Now that is one pumpkin I don't want going into my pie.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford

Turns out a box of pumpkins was being unloaded from a truck and suddenly a skunk jumped out of the box, a very angry and smelly skunk. Turns out there was a pumpkin in the box with a large hole in it and apparently the skunk was inside.
    Yikes! I may be fat and old, but if I was there, you'd have had a hard time keepin' up with me! Whew!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Geez. And I thought that my ex was getting huge!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

So does anyone want some seeds that can produce that big?
    Jake Byrd

Jake, any idea how well something like that might do in a shorter growing season, such as here in WI?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

WI is great for growing pumpkins. I know the record in 2003 was 1049 lbs. There is a really big weighoff there in Nekoosa.

Thanks for your interest,
    Jake Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Byrd
    WI is great for growing pumpkins. I know the record in 2003 was 1049 lbs. There is a really big weighoff there in Nekoosa.

Thanks for your interest,
    Well, gee...In that case, why not give it a shot?! LOML will be floored when I all of a sudden take an interest in gardening! Sure, I'll take a few of those seeds. Sounds like it may be fun to try. I'll PM you snail-mail info and, THANKS!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Just found out the record is actually 1159 lbs!!!
    Jake Byrd