Thread: Another one Bites the Dust - Advice Needed

Question Another one Bites the Dust - Advice Needed

After a mere 30 years of faithful service, my ancient Skill saw (bought in 1973 for $26.99) headed for circular saw heaven. It was a grand send off with sparks, fire and smoke to awe the breathless crowd (two good-fer-nuthin shop muts) . A touching memorial service was then followed by burial at sea (well, it was really dropped in the garbage can but this sounds much more impressive. )

Now I come to the crux of my problem, what to buy as a replacement? It will be used for rough cutting sheet goods, the occasional deck or fence made with pressure treated wood. some minor framing and similar projects.

I am leaning to a left side blade arrangement (I’m right handed and would like to see the blade easily for once) but am not totally sure. Therefore, I beseech the renowned members of this forum for assistance! Would those of you who switched from the traditional right blade arrangement to the left blade arrangement do it again? If I do make the switch, would I be better off with a Milwaukee 6391-21 ($146 from Tyler Tools), the Porter-Cable 423MAG ($129) or the Porter-Cable 743K ($119)? Or have I overlooked another option?

As always, your advice is greatly appreciated especially in my hour of mourning.
    Last edited by Kent Cori; 09-12-2004 at 6:53 PM.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the survivors in the shop...

I have the PC left blade and love it!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    You can be a Tool Snob Too "Festool"
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Left blade PC for $95 or Festool

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...07015&tc=photo

They should have the left blade too!
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 09-12-2004 at 7:05 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Festool would be my first choice. Followed distantly by a PC, since they make some attempt to incorporate dust collection. As far as left vs. right, whatever feels good in your hand.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Festool for the shop and an inexpensive one for the occasional 2x4 and PT outside would be my recommendation...but if you need to buy a "regular" one, PC makes some nice ones.

It's certainly amazing about how long some of the older tools will last. I have a Black and Decker (orange one!) circular saw that I got as a wedding gift in 1979. Still runs like a champ, although it's seen minimal use over the years. Built like a tank, too, at least by some standards. I'm soon to get the Festool plunge saw myself, but I'll keep the B&D for any "rough" work that might come along from time to time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kent,

Sorry to hear of the passing of your faithful servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    Now I come to the crux of my problem, what to buy as a replacement?
    Or have I overlooked another option?

You most certainly have overlooked another option -- one which would probably be self-evident were you not suffering such emotional distress at the moment.

A NEW SKIL!

On the left coast, (which is where I spent most of my life), no self-respecting contractor or framer would be caught dead without his trusty Skil Wormdrive -- with blade on the left, where it should be -- and the magnesium housing makes it easier to use as we become a bit more ... um ... "seasoned" (agewise).

Sells for $179.99 with free shipping at Amazon, and if you buy an extra blade, (or anything else of a minimum $20.01 value), along with it, you get $25 off. I can't swear it, but I think I've seen it on sale elsewhere for a lower base price.

Skil HD77M MAG 77 7-1/4" Wormdrive Circular Saw
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=552922
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Kent......about 18 months ago I replaced my skill with a left blade (I'm right handed) PC .......It's great to see the cut line! It's been a good saw!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have had the left blade PC for about three or four years. Great utility saw, use it for rough cuts and outside. Nice solid magnesium shoe plate. I would buy another.

Folks,

Thanks for all your advice. It was invaluable as usual.

I picked up a PC 423MAG last night at Lowes. This is the left blade version. I used it to finish the cuts left from when the Skil expired in such a fiery manner. The saw seems to be well engineered and made. I used it for about 15 minutes and it seemed to perform well. It will take a couple of more times to get used to the left blade configuration after using a right blade configuration for 30 years. On first blush, though, I am favorably impressed.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Kent,

I would have thought Skil would enter your mind after faithfully serving you for 30 years. I have the one Tom touted about and it has done very well for the 6 years I've had it...it has been through a lot, too.

My father said he should have bought a worm-drive saw years ago instead of the 4-6 regular circulars he's chucked since then. He convinced me to get one and so far, so good.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I just bought the Skil HD77 (not the 'MAG" version) on sale at Menard's for $128.99. I have some minor beefs with it, but I hope it to be the last circular saw I ever buy or own. From what I hear of them, that could very well be the case.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jason,

Depending on which arm you use, it'll get beefed up well with that boat anchor hanging off of it! The non-Mag is a meaty saw for REAL men! No way I could handle it.... It should outlast you. Change the oil once a year and I don't think it'll die on you for a long, long time.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.