Anyone ever use a slow speed bench top belt sander to sharpen chisels and plane irons? I'm thinking that a slow speed precision belt sander would be a lot better than a Worksharp because you would have a lot more abrasive material in a 30" or 40" belt that a 6" dia disk. I've seen belt sanders for grinding knives but I'm envisioning a much slower moving belt that would be more like a lapping machine. I know that you can buy diamond polishing belts for superfinishing all the way down to 50,000 mesh. I'm contemplating building one because the ones I've seen are pretty crude. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this and if there are pitfalls that I haven't considered sharpening with a belt. I'm thinking that the belt has to be in fairly high tension because a wrinkle would dub the edge, it should be water proof so you can wet sand, the platen should be lapped flat, probably variable speed or at least have a step pulley so you have several speeds to choose from.....any other ideas?