Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"

Friday August 28, 2009

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Here we are entering the last weekend of August already. School starts Tuesday in these parts and the tourists will begin thinning out. It already feels like fall around here. Temps the last few days have barely made it into the mid 60's and some of the maples are starting to turn.

Not much on my agenda this weekend. LOML is busy so I may just get a chance to spend some time in the shop. I need to do a little more cleaning before starting another project. All my planes are ready to go after a sharpening yesterday.

With this being near the end of summer, what's on your agenda for the weekend? Whatever it might be I hope it's enjoyable and above all SAFE.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Got to get the ol' Cub Cadet 682 running again. After that, maybe there'll be time to start putting a finish on the aquarium stand for the planned Seahorse tank.

Building a tall fence and some feather boards so I can try to figure out this lock miter bit. If that goes well, maybe get the drawers and door cut and assembled for my Wife's lathe stand.

Working on cabinets here. I'm really hoping to finish building boxes by the end of Sunday. Then I'll start applying finish to the face frames with the goal of finishing that by the end of labor day weekend and getting them attached to the boxes.

Blog Entries
    I have to work on Saturday which usually shifts all social activites to Sunday which means shop time becomes catch-as-catch-can for me this weekend.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Recovering from the annual vacation is in the cards for this weekend. The girls are back to school next week, too; the younger on Tuesday and the older on Wednesday.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finish the bathroom remodel as the new custom shower door arrives on Tuesday and the LOML wants that bathroom finished. So do I! I want to go play in the shop.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I plan on working on my pedestal table. I've got a little work left to do on the pedestal and the top before I can start finishing them. I figure that if I can get a first coat on both of those and get some feet started it'll be a successful weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I just returned from a business trip to Virginia (it's hot down there), this weekend we'll be attending a wedding and a funeral, which takes care of both days.

I'd rather have some shop time, oh well, hopefully there will be some shop time next weekend.

Regards, Rod.

Making the doors and drawers for my hanging tool cabinet, maybe finish up the linen press I'm about done on, make two chalkboards and begin the finish removal from an original edison machine.

sleep will be in there somewhere.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

First, I am going to try to find my workbench.... it's gotta be under all the stuff somewhere. Then I'm gonna try to find the floor. That's gotta be somewhere under where the workbench should be.... Then move some old tools out of the shop and put in the "Craigslist" pile so I can make room for my new Grizzly G0513x2 band saw. Of course, this is all dependent on the LOML not suddenly requiring me to do some yard work. I am in a weak negotiating state right now since, as CFO of the household, she authorized this expenditure.

Greg

Blog Entries
    With the impending weather forecast such as it is, it looks like I'll be spending some time in the shop this weekend finishing up over a dozen tissue box covers I am making as some small christmas gifts for freinds and some closer relatives. They are actually the first projects that I am utilizing some of the walnut that I had milled up last summer at the school where my lovely works in New Hope, PA. Nice looking stuff. I have the sides all fabbed up with box joint corners. I have the tops roughed out and ready to mill out the hole that will coordinate with the tissue box top hole. I will need to fabricate a jig for trim routing the hole to shape and mount the tops tomorrow in preparation for the clear lacquer finish.

Other than that, a quiet weekend. The wife and I will be going out for a light lunch at a deli that supplied a trivia contest prize of a gift card at a recent fair where the local dirt stock car tracks had a large display of former racing machines and dozens of old time drivers on hand. I hammered the trivia contest, but gave away many of the prizes.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Got the cabinets and countertop in at mom's house. Just have to cut in the sink and hook it up and lay the new flooring.

AND! I Finished my re-decking on my front porch.....Good productive weekend!!
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY