Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for comments on Transpower Table Saws

Frank, it is unlikely you will get a lot of "experienced" commentary on this brand. I've attended probably a dozen shows in the past five years and never once saw such a saw sawing or sitting stationary soliciting savvy sales...

Frank. I don't know if you look through the buy'n sell at all, or if you're even interested in buying used, but this weeks copy has at least 3 unisaws for sale, all at your price point or less. And all located within an hour of you. I believe there's a powermatic as well. I'll take a look again tonight. As a point of reference, I picked up a Unisaw for a buddy for $1600 Cdn that included three 8" dado sets ( Delta, Systimatic and Freud), the Delta tenoning jig and a mobile base. The saw was like new.

Steve Evans

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Frank, it is unlikely you will get a lot of "experienced" commentary on this brand. I've attended probably a dozen shows in the past five years and never once saw such a saw sawing or sitting stationary soliciting savvy sales...
    I guess that the absence of this saw at such events should tell me something. And, its not something good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Evans
    Frank. I don't know if you look through the buy'n sell at all, or if you're even interested in buying used, but this weeks copy has at least 3 unisaws for sale, all at your price point or less. And all located within an hour of you. I believe there's a powermatic as well. I'll take a look again tonight. As a point of reference, I picked up a Unisaw for a buddy for $1600 Cdn that included three 8" dado sets ( Delta, Systimatic and Freud), the Delta tenoning jig and a mobile base. The saw was like new.

Steve Evans
    Steve, what it "the buy'n sell"?

I would buy used but I am not going to be buying for at least four months.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    I would buy used but I am not going to be buying for at least four months.
    Buy when the deal is ripe if you find a "find"...whether tools or lumber. If you find a machine used that is in great condition and at a good price, do what you have to do to aquire it and either store it elsewhere or find a way to work around it. IMHO, of course.

Frank I'd like to encourage you if you find a nice used cabinet-saw at a reasonable price do what ever it takes to get it & put it under that new roof cover it with a moving quilt & some plastic. You might not see it again until you finish the shop but at least it will be there.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

A fellow wood worker that I know bought a 12" Transpower and 5hp motor back in 1990 or so. The thing was pure junk. He had many arbor and alignment problems from the get go. He was unable to get the problems resolved, then after about 2 years the motor burned up.

The company nor the distributer would help him once he recieved it.
    (He had paid cash I believe. Been so long, I am not sure of all the details.)

Like I said, that was 12-14 years ago. Seeing that they are still in bisness, they must have changed, or my friend`s situation was just one of a very few.
    Hope this helps, and sorry to being bad news.

Frank

My mistake on the name of the publication. It used to be called the buy'n sell but now goes by the name of isell or triad. I pick it up in the grocery store here, but there are lots of GTA area ads, so it must be available around you somewhere. You can place an ad in it for free, but have to pay $2.80 to buy the paper. This is where I dug up my Laguna 16HD and Powermatic planer last week.

The cream of this weeks crop is a General with Excalibur fence and sliding table. It's a bit higher than your budget at $2000
    Unisaw with Unifence that says like new for $1400 in Brampton
    Unisaw with Excalibur fence but 3 phase for $950 in Waterloo
    and finally
    Unisaw with Unifence 4 yrs old, excellent condition for $1500 in Fort Erie

Just so you don't get the wrong impression, this is the most Cabinet saws I've seen advertised in this paper at once. If you want any details, PM me.

Steve Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Evans
    Frank

My mistake on the name of the publication. It used to be called the buy'n sell but now goes by the name of isell or triad. I pick it up in the grocery store here, but there are lots of GTA area ads, so it must be available around you somewhere. You can place an ad in it for free, but have to pay $2.80 to buy the paper. This is where I dug up my Laguna 16HD and Powermatic planer last week.

The cream of this weeks crop is a General with Excalibur fence and sliding table. It's a bit higher than your budget at $2000
    Unisaw with Unifence that says like new for $1400 in Brampton
    Unisaw with Excalibur fence but 3 phase for $950 in Waterloo
    and finally
    Unisaw with Unifence 4 yrs old, excellent condition for $1500 in Fort Erie

Just so you don't get the wrong impression, this is the most Cabinet saws I've seen advertised in this paper at once. If you want any details, PM me.

Steve Evans
    Thanks Steve, I was not aware of the publication but will look for it. How frequently is it published?

Frank

It comes out every two weeks. The latest edition came out yesterday. I try and pick it up early for obvious reasons

Steve Evans

I bought a 10" Transpower blindly and added a Sears Exacta-Rip fence system and never looked back. They put a 2hp motor on it.

12. Thread necromancy....

David, you revived a thread from 11 years ago!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I had to. I'm looking for info on a Transpower 10" tablesaw and wanted to get a dialog going again. I bought my Transpower about that long ago and just bought a new belt for the motor. Right now the motor is only supported by the belt tension. There is a loose what appears to be mounting bracket dangling so I'm wondering if a part can be bought to support the motor, or if the belt itself is all the motor needs to be held for support. Was hoping someone out there would know.

Don't know the saw in question, but another to say don't buy below a quality level you won't be happy with. Especially since budget stuff so often is fitted with e.g. a fence or other hardware that mean that no matter what you do to try to dial it in it can never perform due to misalignments/vibration, lack of stiffness or roughness etc.

Buying a good brand used is generally the best shot at getting into something decent when the budget is tight...