Thread: My first duck call

My first duck call

I made my first duck call this morning. Technically I made my first duck call barrel, as the insert is commercially made. The wood is curly claro walnut. The finish is numerous applications of BLO on the lathe, and I sanded between applications with 1200 grit to slurry-fill the open grain. The brass band was sanded to 2000 grit to shine it up and then it was laquered. I wrote my website address on the wood between the band and the insert...Some subtle advertising that doesn't detract from the appearance of the barrel. After some tuning of the reed it sounds incredible and the shape seems to work well on my mouth.

Opinions and suggestions welcome!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a beauty. Really nice looking wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice. I really like the wood you used.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Aaron - I have to admit that I do not believe I have ever said this before....... Man, that is a beautiful duck call! Really nice looking wood! Good form and I really like the clear mouthpiece! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks guys!

Very nice piece, hope the ducks like the sound as well.

Great looking call - Beuatiful choiec of wood. That BLO sure popped the grain, eh!

Beautiful call, must be some high class ducks you hunt or at least they are going to think they are if it sounds as good as it looks! Very nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Spaulding View Post
    ...must be some high class ducks you hunt or at least they are going to think they are if it sounds as good as it looks!
    That's all part of the strategy!

I made calls number two and three today...

The first is African blackwood. I went to Woodcraft for a pen kit and walked out with a small blank of blackwood and a Beall buffing system for the lathe. Danged Woodcraft!!! This one was sanded to 1500 grit then buffed and waxed.

I was hoping it would be blacker than it is. Maybe gaboon ebony is what I need...

And this one is cocobolo, also buffed. Not a great piece of cocobolo unfortunately. Too light colored for my liking. Sounds good though.

Aaron those are beautiful. Really nice. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your duck call kits?

John

Some of these are in my future. How do you tune a duck call?
    Beautiful work by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Kuhn View Post
    Some of these are in my future. How do you tune a duck call?
    Practice and experience, as well as a lot of experimentation. I buy pre-made inserts and keep plenty of reeds on hand so I can screw with them until they sound the way I want them to...Been doing that for years on off-the-shelf calls. Take paper thin cuts at a time...Tiny amounts can make a big difference. The positioning of the cork plays a part as well.

If and when you decide to do it, shoot me a PM and I'll help you get started. There are some great resources online as well.