Thread: Weight of Jet 16" parts - urgent request

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.

Weight of Jet 16" parts - urgent request

Hello all Jet 16" owners,
    Im helping move a new Jet 16" 708360 from one location to another and am considering breaking open the box and moving the parts in a private car. The target location is problematic for the movers so this option is perhaps valid. My only consideration is the parts' weight. Can someone get me the weight of the three heaviest components still today? I guess they would be the bed, stand (one side) and the headstock (or motor?). Is this a reasonable carry for two non-heavy lifters?
    No answers after Tuesday needed.
    Thx!
    Norm

Jet 1642

The bed is about 140#, and each of the legs are about 75#. The headstock is around 100#, IIRC. You would be well advised to consider if there isn't some way to use a small truck instead of a car. Getting the bed in and out of a car might be a serious challenge.

Thanks Kurt. I assume those are all in lbs. How long is the bed (fit in car width)?

Norm - I have a Jet 1642 and managed to get it down into my basement shop by myself. So, if there are 2 of you sharing the lifting it should be a lot easier.

The bed measures 57" or about 144 cm. Hope that helps.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve. 140 lbs alone is quite a feat! Take care of that back.
    Norm

I carried my parts up to the shop with help from my wife (she carried the little stuff). It's about 200 feet from the top of the driveway.

I don't remember the bed being that heavy... but I did have help loading it into the back of my pickup. Then I just shifted it off onto my hip when unloading. I didn't let it down til I got to the shop.

If you get a little help it's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I have a Jet 1642 and managed to get it down into my basement shop by myself.
    Dude, You're an animal!!! Sorry, I had to say it. I am a lifetime member of the bad back club.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

two people will be no problem. One is tough but still doable.

Same here Brian. Lifting isn't too bad, but actually carrrying anything over 20# for more than a few feet is painful. Learned a long time ago that trying to show how strong I was (with my messed up back) just showed how dumb I was. Now prefer to do my lifting 12 ounces at a time.
    Richard in Wimberley

It is surprising what you can do when you don't have any options. I did indeed carry the Jet - one piece at a time - from the truck, thru the garage, kitchen and down the steps into the basement shop. Got the lathe all put together and operational - then took a break! Next day I paid the price! Actually, for a couple of days I paid a price!

Richard, I do my 12 ounce curls every evening just to keep in shape! Can't say I look any different but there are times where I feel like Arnold!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I don't remember the bed being particularly heavy either, but I did have a helper for that part. The headstock/motor is the worst piece to move -- in large part because there isn't any good way to grab it. I've moved MUCH worse things though.

Thanks all!! The box, still on pallet, is in the shop! The truck pulled up close and let it down on a hydrolic shelf. The driver then picked it up the ground about 6 inches with a hydrolic pallet lifter and put one corner over the door threshold. My partner, who used to lift weights, moved me and the driver aside and with one big heave pushed the crate 5 feet into the workshop, snugly into place. The lesson is clear: two factors made it all easy - a strong friend and a thin layer of wood dust on the floor which like fine flour assisted in fighting friction! I dreaded this operation for days, prepared pipe sections, rope and wheels, but it all took approx 25 seconds. What a relief!
    Assembly is scheduled in a few weeks, when time permits!
    All have a great week,
    Norm
    Last edited by Norm Zax; 08-26-2009 at 4:42 AM. Reason: clarity