View Poll Results: What is your use of Sketchup?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • You saw, you liked, you demoed, you bought, you use

7 15.22%
  • You saw, you liked, you demoed, you bought, you don't use

1 2.17%
  • You saw, you liked, you demoed, you didn't buy

14 30.43%
  • You saw, you liked, you dropped it

9 19.57%
  • You saw, you didn't like

1 2.17%
  • What in tarnation is Sketchup?

14 30.43%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attn: Sketchup Users

Attn: Sketchup Users

Just wondering how many people have taken a look at Sketchup... Please respond to poll.

Well...that makes two of us! Awesome applcation. I hope I can get more time to learn it more, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I would guess that this is some sort of CAD program. I think I will have more interest in this type of program after I retire (9-10yrs) All the cad programs I have seen have a fairly long learning curve, and I just don't have the time/interest to learn. I would rather make sawdust with my limited time in the shop.
    What's so great about this type of software and why should someone invest their time into using it? Also, what makes it so great (what can be done with it) from the perspective of the hobbist woodworker?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Just too pricey for me, Todd. So pricey, that I have the shortcut to 3.1 sitting on my desktop for 6-8 months now and have yet to use more than 2 minutes of the demo time. I'm afraid I'll like it too much and $500 is a tough pill to swallow being that I'm not a professional. $200 is about my upper limit to s/w. I wish it didn't cost so much.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

For folks not familiar with this application, you can learn more about SketchUp at http://sketchup.com/. This is a remarkable 3D illustration program that blends both free-sketching and many features of CAD into one. I have not found it to be a total replacement for DesignCAD yet, but that's likely a learning issue with me, rather than the fault of the program...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    I would guess that this is some sort of CAD program.
    Larry,

Sketch-up is big on touting how they are NOT just another CAD program. Since I haven't used it much, I cannot comment further.

Larry, check out, let's see.... the Furniture Gallery on the SU website... http://www.sketchup.com/gallery.php?gcid=4

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Larry, check out, let's see.... the Furniture Gallery on the SU website... http://www.sketchup.com/gallery.php?gcid=4
    Hmm...that "Dual Tool" is an interesting application for SketchUp...

Todd or Jim:

Does Sketchup give you any prebuilt templates? Does everything need to be done from scratch? For instance, if I were to design my new shop do I have to create the machines ( TS,DP,BS,DC,AC). I have been looking for a package but at $500 . I have the advantage of getting academic priced software because the LOML is in education and there are some good discounts to be had.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Rich,

Does that mean your buddies here also get some academic discounts??

Please!!!

Just wondering how many people have taken a look at Sketchup... Please respond to poll.
    You need to modify #3 -- you saw, demoed, didn't buy cause 500$ will buy a lot of wood

Todd.....I went to their site sometime ago and viewed the demo. It was impressive. I have several cad programs, one of which is 3-D. While I actually like sketchup better than what I have.....it's hard to justify $500. First, finish the new shop.....build some shop cabinets.......purchase a bandsaw......then.....maybe.......sketchup
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Rich, they do have a good acedemic license program. And, there are some "components" that come with SU for free, but many, many others are available for free on the SU website under FORUMS>Material & Components. Plus, there is objectivenetworks.com and pushpullbar.com where you can get premade items. Keith Starosta made a bessy clamp and sent it to me. He also found a whole bunch of tools that would make up a ww shop. Great for shop layout. There are also a couple web sites where you can buy components and have components custom made (for a fee) (thecomponentstore.com and 3D-figures.com)

Rich, they do have a good acedemic license program. And, there are some "components" that come with SU for free, but many, many others are available for free on the SU website under FORUMS>Material & Components. Plus, there is objectivenetworks.com and pushpullbar.com where you can get premade items. Keith Starosta made a bessy clamp and sent it to me. He also found a whole bunch of tools that would make up a ww shop. Great for shop layout. There are also a couple web sites where you can buy components and have components custom made (for a fee) (thecomponentstore.com and 3D-figures.com)
    This is what has prevented me from getting the edu pricing.

excerpt from su website:

"An EDU SketchUp license can only be purchased by a student or faculty member who is currently affiliated with an accredited educational institution. EDU licenses are valid for ONE YEAR from the date of purchase, and are renewable each year with additional purchase"

It's $99 a year.

I like what the program can do but I looking at TurboCad for $150.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Rich, check out the reviews of CAD programs in Fine Woodworking, October 2004, Page 54. The review article should be helpful to you in your decision.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...