Thread: Alternatives to Latex for HVLP

Alternatives to Latex for HVLP

I am finishing some built cabinets and would like to find an alternative to latex. With latex I have to dilute by up to 30% with water to get a good spray. Then, the coating is prone to running. Its a very fine line. Someone recently told me about some alternative water based paints from ML Campbell and Target Coatings. Apparently they can be sprayed using HVLP without thinning. I'd really like to try them but I can't find anyone who sells them. Can anyone tell me where I might find these products? Or any other water based paints that are good for HVLP. I have a three turbine Fuji unit.

Enduro from General Finishes

AND latex is not a good choice to finish furniture it tends to "block".

Blocking is when the paint comes off the furniture; stuck to the bottom of whatever was set on the furniture.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

For Target Coatings, which product? When I went to their website it looked like they had only clear finishes. Which product can pigment be added to? And how do you specify this?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Bell View Post
    For Target Coatings, which product? When I went to their website it looked like they had only clear finishes. Which product can pigment be added to? And how do you specify this?
    You can get tinted Target USL (now EM6000) at Homestead Finishing.

http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct...etcoatings.htm

The Superclear Polyurethane can also be tinted. Call or email Jeff @ Homestead and tell him your requirements and he will recommend a product.

2nd vote for GF Enduro acrylic. it can be tinted to any color. I just finished spraying some cabinets I made and was very happy with it.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Bell View Post
    Target's clear finishes can be tinted with universal colorants (they're what's squirted into paint cans to custom-tint latex). You can buy universal colorants at good paint stores, or on the web. Or some retailers have pre-mixed pigmented Target; http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/ is one.

+1 on the Enduro Acrylic from General Finishes. This went on easy, even with mediocre skills and equipment.

I also have a three stage Fuji setup (Mini Mite 3). I just sprayed some Fuhr 9200. I ordered it from the Fuhr Industrial website. I got a gallon of white in a satin finish.

I had also been messing around with thinned acrylic paints. The 9200 sprayed great right out of the can, sands super easy, and clean up was a breeze. I used it on a bb ply cabinet with poplar and mdf flat panel doors and drawers. I love the stuff. It's a bit pricey but would highly recommend it. I used the stock 1.4mm needle.

I'm going to order more of it for my kitchen cabinets....when I get them done.