Thread: Will an end vise change my workbench from junk collector to best tool ever?

Question Will an end vise change my workbench from junk collector to best tool ever?

Like many of you, I've lusted after one of those nice maple top workbenches with a slick end vise to replace my sturdy but ugly 4x4 and plywood bench. Then I got to thinking, why in the heck do I even have a workbench at all? I do almost all of my assembly and sanding on my assembly table. Other than the odd time when I need to use the metal vise, all that my workbench seems to do is collect junk. (Yes, my shop is a total disaster when I'm working.)

I mostly do furniture building. When I use hand tools I typically just clamp the work piece to whatever table doesn't have something on it. So my question is, am I one end vise and a bench dog away from having a tool that I will wonder what I ever did without it?

My answer is yes. I am a hobbyist who recently upgraded to a 'proper' workbench. Granted, mine's laminated MDF, but it's heavy as all get-out, and has a FACE-vise (not an end vise).

A vice with dogs really excels at holding larger stock flat so you can work it with a router or handplanes, sander, whatever. The dogs usually ride shy of the top of the piece - so you can get to the edges without scraping yr knuckles (which is the prob I had before when I was just using clamps to hold my piece down).

I also added a makeshift boardjack for stock support.

I am a true believer.

IMHO - as long as the top is thick and flat, the choice of material isn't critical.

Ben -

I worked on a poor bench for many years, and got along fine. Last winter, I made a heavy bench with proper vises (a variation of Robert Lang's 21st Century Bench). It still collects some pieces of junk (my work habits, not the fault of the bench), but it is a whole bunch easier to do things now. One of the best things about the bench is that it is sized so that I can work comfortably.

I use the front vise 90% of the time, but with the split top, I have lots of clamping and holding options.

My bench is very strong, flat, and heavy, but so are my assembly table, table saw outfeed, etc. I guess the real reason I'm bringing this up is that I'm thinking about rearranging things in my workshop, and when I look at the bench, I'm not convinced I actually need it. I'm half convinced that I should just toss it and use the space for something else.

So, I can see how a vise would make a bench more useful. Does a proper vise make your workbench indispensable?

Ben,

For those of us who are challenged to keep their bench neat - myself included - I finally came up with a way to help…

It took me years to realize that there were many things that were never going to be 'put away', because you need them right there in front of you. After realizing what one solution would be, shelves were built right over the bench to hold all the stuff that is never put away. Now the bench stays open for work, while everything is still right at your fingertips. I have not found the shelves to ever be in the way of working on projects.

By the way, I use my front vice for just about everything. Otherwise, just clamp things right to the bench,

Just one more idea to think about…
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use both face and end vise daily. I could probably get around using the end vice, but it sure is nice. Without doubt, the workbench is the most important tool in the shop. A good bench will secure the project with any side facing skyward.

Taunton has a good book that explains the evolution of bench design, differences between types of benches, pros and cons, as well as plans for two types.

My bench is 3'x12' and has two vises. It is solid oak and maple and weighs about 600 lbs. I bought it at an auction 15 years ago and I would be very depressed without it. It is an old bench from the department of the Navy and I have no idea where it originated. I also doubt if I will ever see the entire top of the bench at one time.

Regards, Steve

Ben, I'm going to chime in on the Pro side of this too. I recently built a beater bench (6' x 2') with a butcher block top. It does not have an end vise, but an old quick release face vise and I also use bench dogs and pups for purposes similar to what a end vise would give you. In addition, I put some t-track on one end and can use that for a variety of things/clamping. I cannot tell you how useful this whole thing has become. In fact, my bench is now the most useful and most used tool in the shop. I also have a Festool MFT/3 table, but the workbench is by far the first place I go for almost everything. Like you, I also fantasize about the massive maple bench, but for under $250 I was able to build a bench that is large, heavy and lets me really understand what any future bench opus should include to work the way I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    Will an end vise change my workbench from junk collector to best tool ever?

Nope,
    once a junk collector always a junk collector

It is easier to build a new bench then reform a junk collecting bench...

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post

Nope,
    once a junk collector always a junk collector

It is easier to build a new bench then reform a junk collecting bench...
    LOL...

There is some truth to that!

My current bench a 2' deep, 8' wide 3' tall 2x4 and plywood arrangement has a Wilton 7" standard face vise and dog holes. The "dogs" per se are simply 3/4" dowel pieces, and it is amazing how well they work, and how useful this rig is for clamping, particularly for sanding and routing tasks... This bench will get risers to the rear legs to help frame the support for a top shelf. This Much of the junk occupying the space though, is LOML's flower pots and crafty stuff...

Having said that, I am working on my own copy of the Fine Woodworking "Getting Started" workbench. Mine is a modification from the design, and I am working too many other projects at the same time. I will probably have it done in a couple of years at this rate! The vise for this one is a Central Forge 9" quick release face vise...

End vises are nice, but out of my price range...

And no, it won't keep your bench from collecting junk. I usually spend about two hours cleaning junk off my bench just so I can use it...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...