Thread: Router Table Cabinet for Incra LS Positioner

Post Router Table Cabinet for Incra LS Positioner

This is my first post to Sawmill Creek. I have been an avid reader of many posts, getting advice and insight on various woodworking techniques. As a professional woodworker, I thought I'd share some of my projects and techniques.
    I'll start with the router table cabinet I just completed for my Incra 17" LS Positioner. I purchased the LS Positioner and Table Combo package #3, which comes with the 17" LS Positioner, Wonder Fence, 27" x 43" Incra table top, MagnaLock plate and inserts, as well as the Incra table stand. It is a great system and I have been using it daily for various dovetail and general routing projects since I got it. The only thing lacking was a cabinet enclosure for: 1. Dust Collection 2. Router bit and accessory storage.
    I bought the system with the table stand because the extruded aluminum legs accept 1/2" panels to create a base cabinet. But after setting the system up, I thought this would not be the best (or easiest) cabinet for the router table. After a few sketches and thinking outside the box, I built a couple of side by side cabinets to fit under the table.
    Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product. I will follow up tomorrow with the construction details:

Finished in the shop a little early today so I'll finish this post with the construction details of the router table base cabinets.
    I first started with the Router enclosure cabinet. This is approximately 17-1/2" deep by 16" wide. The carcass is 1/2" MDF, dadoed, rabbeted and glued together. The face frame is maple, glued and pin nailed to the carcass.

The top is open and fits snugly against the bottom of the router table top, just below the plate opening.

As you can see above, the router cabinet is placed on the underside of the router table, then the leg frame is placed over the cabinet. The cabinet rest on the lower leg stretchers, making a compression fit to the table top. No screws were used to attach the cabinet to the top. Once the leg frame is centered on the top, it was screwed into place and the whole unit is turned right side up.

The drawers are constructed of scrap 1/2" MDF I had in the shop and the drawer front trim is scrap maple. I used 1" Over Travel ball bearing drawer slides on all the drawers. I recommend OT slides for all shop cabinets. It definitely allows full access to everything in the drawer.

Well it looks like I can only post 5 images here, so I will have to continue in the next reply post. I'll see if that works. New to this, so bear with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Heffernan; 08-19-2009 at 3:36 PM.

That's a good looking router table! I love the Incra colors!

Welcome to the Creek. Looks amazing. Bring on the construction details!

Router Table Cabinet construction continued

Okay, so I'll see if I can finish this in one or two more reply posts.
    As you can see in the original post, the router enclosure cabinet is in place in the table frame and the drawers are installed. As for the dust collection box for the router, I drilled a 4" hole in the back of the cabinet to accept the fitting. The inside of the dust box is sealed with two coats of polyurethane and finished with two coats of paste wax. This nearly eliminates the friction and all the dust gets sucked right out of the enclosure.
    Router Cabinet finished inside.jpg
    I used a 4' PVC elbow, fit into the opening and caulked (clear) in place. Attached to that is a union fitting, then a 4"/2-1/2" wye fitting. I got these from Peachtree Woodworking (www.ptreeusa.com) The exhaust end of the wye is fitted with a FazLok quick disconnect, from Woodworker's Supply (www.woodworker.com). I use the FazLok system for all my machinery to connect to my Jet dust collector.
    Dust extraction fittings.jpg

To secure the fittings to the cabinet, I wanted to keep it neat and tidy, so I got creative. I had and extra Blast Gate mounting bracket (available from Rockler) laying around and it fit the bill perfectly. Mounted a 1" thick spacer block to the back of the cabinet, attached the mounting bracket, put on the hose clamps and secured the fittings to the cabinet. It is low profile to the back of the cabinet, barely extending beyond the footprint of the table top. I have a small shop and I can tuck the whole table up against the wall when not in use.
    Blast gate with hose clamps.jpg

I then wired the Router shut-off switch into the router enclosure box. I got this from Rockler as well, but there are plenty of other manufacturers of these switches. I drilled a 1-3/4" hole in the side of the cabinet, inserted a desk grommet with removable insert that I cut out to accept the cord thickness, and ran the plug from the switch to the router.
    Desk Grommet.jpgInside of cabinet .jpg

Okay, I guess that five images per post is the max, so I'll have to continue in another reply. Unfortunately, I am out of time today, so it will have to wait till tomorrow to complete my project.
    Last edited by Michael Heffernan; 08-19-2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Update

Lovely job that Michael.

Very re-assuring to hear that you are happy with the Incra system, I've just bought the system too but not installed or used it yet. (i actually took advantage of the deals going right now and bought a 25in positioner and wonder fence for my router table, a TS-LS 52in fence system for my table saw, and two of their original 8in stroke incremental positioners to use on my bandsaw and drill press. (great value at not much over $30 each)

I found Incra great to deal with, and very well priced for what you get. Great documentation too.

With a name like that you have to have Irish connections, i'm in ireland...

ian

Router Table Cabinet construction part three

I wish I could have put this all on one post, but the photos are important, so I'll continue with part three of the construction.
    So, as you can see in the second post, the router dust collection cabinet is installed in the table and the drawers are assembled. For the dust cabinet cover, I built a maple rail and stile frame with a 1/4" lexan panel. The lexan is a router table plate blank I bought from Woodworker's Supply. I drilled four 1" holes in the lexan for air movement in the dust box. I think that I could have gone with two or three holes to increase suction out the back, but it seems to clear the box just fine. I will play with taping a couple of the holes to find the best intake/exhaust ratio for maximum draw.
    Dust box door.jpg

The dust door is attached with offset magnetic catches on all four corners. These are the type for full inset face frame doors. Amerock makes them and I got them at Woodworker's Supply. The door just snaps into place and comes off by grabbing through one of the intake holes. I chose to have a fully removable door so that I have full access to the inside of the dust box. I didn't like the idea of a hinged cover.
    Offset magnetic catch plate.jpgMagnetic catch on cover .jpg

So that completes the dust collection cabinet.
    The second cabinet is straight forward and I won't get into too many details. This cabinet is also made of 1/2" MDF approximately 17" W x 21" D and fits in between the upper and lower leg stretchers. I just slid it onto the lower stretchers and screwed it from the inside to the dust cabinet. I made this box about 4" deeper than the dust box for a couple of reasons.
    1. the drawers are 20" deep to accept the over-sized Incra Manual and set of templates, which I keep handy in the top shallow drawer.
    2. Since the table top overhangs the leg base by about 4+ inches, I wanted full access to the drawers using overtravel slides. Since I don't stand or work at this end of the table, I didn't need the foot or leg clearance. This works well and give me a little extra storage space.

Router table complete.jpgRouter table drawers.jpg

That's my router table system. It is working out great. I have all my router tools, bits, accessories, templates, etc. all in one place and at hand while working on the router table.
    There is one 'fix' I need to make on the table. These cabinets are heavy with all the tools inside and the side stretcher where the lever actuated wheel flexes a little when engaged. I will build a support brace inside the stretchers to stiffen it.
    If I had to do it again, I probably would have left out the Incra table leg set and built the cabinet the same way but with four swivel double locking casters. All in all, I'm happy with it and, as I said, I used it almost every day. And virtually NO DUST!

That truly is a nice router table and cabinet. I am getting ready to build one myself. I was going to build the one from the latest issue of WOOD Magazine, but after seeing one on Lumberjocks that fit my situation a little better, I think that I am going to model mine after it. That really looks nice. Keep on making sawdust.

Chuck

Let us know when you finish your table

Chuck,

Thanks for the compliment. Let us know when you finish your router table and post some photos. I had fun making mine and enjoy using it even more.

Best regards,

Michael

Great looking router table. What color did you use for the Incra red paint?

Quote Originally Posted by mike siroky View Post
    Great looking router table. What color did you use for the Incra red paint?
    I want to add some more Adjectives because it is more then great, pluse it is gleaming, and gifted. How did you get the nice color for the Incra red paint?