Thread: Latest Project: Bed Parts

Latest Project: Bed Parts

So, there are many new members here whom I don't know and who don't know me. I obviously haven't been very active lately, but I still read the threads. For those who don't know, I am trying to get into the architectural turning business, along with any and all forms of turning.

I finally got a decent size job (I have been doing a lot of little replacement parts for furniture repair). I was hired to make parts for a bed sold online so the customer could make her own.

I learned a lot, as I really haven't done long spindle work much. For those who may attempt it, don't turn a piece in split sessions. I was dumb enough to try it, and the wood moved/warped on me. You can see the Bondo on the one rung. Good thing it's paint grade!!

Overall, I am very happy with the outcome even though I am very disappointed about the Bondo issue.

Hutch

P.S. The first picture is what I was asked to use as the model.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt - great to see you posting again! Very nice work on the feet and finials! I am sure your customer will love them!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Matt good to see ya posting and turning. Those really look good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Pretty fun too, huh?

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Nice work! Do you use a duplicator of sorts?

Congrats and very well done Matt!

Oh yeah!

Fun indeed! I love the challenge of a project like this. Making matching parts can be a little tedious, but the more I do it the better and faster I get. Now if only someone needed columns....

Hutch

P.S. So Norm, to answer your question more directly, I don't use a duplicator. Right now I am on the slow side, but I hope that I will eventually be able to get to a point where speed, skill, and accuracy come naturally.

Outstanding !

Extremely nice work Matt, good for you. Your skill is obvious, speed will come in time. I imagine soon you will have more work than you know what to do with.

Good to see you posting again and keep up the good work.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

The Finished Bed

This customer contacted me recently and sent a photo of the finished bed. She did a great job, and it's fun to see my turnings in a finished piece.

Hutch
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's great... Must be really satisfying to see the finished project in somebody's home. Nice work.

Nice work! I have thought about turning a bed someday. Know any designs where it would be okay if all 4 posts didn't come out the same?