Thread: Big cherry from a storm *gloat*

Big cherry from a storm *gloat*

I just scored a nice haul of cherry. There was a really bad storm just north of here. It actually has been rather serious for those who experienced it, as many homes and cars were completely crushed. There were some intense straight line winds that dropped hundreds of huge old trees, and clean-up has been going on for a week. There are still lines down, and the streets are lined with piles of brush and logs.

BUT....out of the bad came some nice cherry. The largest pictured is 19" diameter, and those were taken from above the wye!! If I have the time I will be going back this weekend to see if I can somehow retrieve the huge base section intact.

Hutch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice score!!

Looks like you are going to have a ball!

Great score!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Road trip! Need to go rent a bigger truck and head across state.

Nice haul Matt, but be careful with the heavy stuff, don't get hurt, but it sure looks like some real nice wood, you're going to be busy for a while
    Have fun and take care

Excellent gloat Matt! Love turning Cherry and you have some really nice stock there! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great haul Matt. There is some turning to be done there.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Cherry gloat

Congratulations on the score. Know what that town looks like, we had winds here in May between 80 and 100 mph for about a half hour. People in town are still getting roofs fixed and buildings rebuilt. Unfortunately, I don't have much storage space for wood, or I could have made some nice scores. Did get a little, mostly bradford pear. Tell your friend I wish them luck in getting recovered from the havoc.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Wow, what a haul! Congrats! I hope you're able to get some more, it looks like great stuff.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

wow that is a nice score!

That ought to keep you out of trouble for a while! Congrats, looks like great stuff.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Better get busy!!

Matt, Very nice haul of cherry!! It will need to be attended to right away! It will start to check and crack like crazy even with a coat of anchor seal on the ends. If you plan to turn some big stuff out of the whole blocks I would really seal it up with a few coats or some thicker melted wax, or get roughing them out! The ones you plan on using for bowls get them split and sealed. No matter how hard I try to keep all the cherry I get perfect some always blows up if I don't get to it fast enough and get it prepared and sealed well.

I am jealous, but not by how you came to get the wood. I hope everyone is O.K. and storms can be real scary!

God luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

nice score, free wood is always good wood......but is cherry a prized turning wood??? on the west coast nobody seems to go out of their way to turn cherry......do people stain it? Does it normally have nice figure or burl?.......just asking because someone cut down all of the cherry trees in california.
    “The key to change... is to let go of fear.”

Turning like a madman

Well, I definitely plan on making some serious shavings. In fact, I have to. I have so much wood accumulated here that I hardly have any more room!! I still have big walnut, big maple, big hickory, some ash, and I live in a city neighborhood!!

As for cherry in CA, I wonder if it's more a factor of climate and region than over harvesting. Cuz here in MI we've been logging for forever, and we're still going strong.

Hutch

P.S. I already roughed out a small bowl. Of coarse, I soaked my shirt with the flying water, but the crotch piece I was working looks awesome!

now, walnut is one of my personal favs....still, nice score.
    “The key to change... is to let go of fear.”