Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

2 Feb 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
    It's been a busy oncall week and I was also able to finish a project I had going at work. We did have some friends over last night to watch the Super Bowl game and I just worked as we all watched the game as my computer desk is the opposite side of the room of the TV. The real good news is that I came off of oncall duty this morning.

I found several nice pieces of curly maple in my firewood pile, so I have tossed them to the side to make some spatula's and spoons from. I guess we'll see how it goes.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Last week was a challenging one at work. Saturday was spent a the dogs, thing to do for the house and date night with my wife. Sunday I finished installing the dust collection cover for the router table install in my tablesaw. I also remounted the drawer unit that is suspended under the extension wing.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Slow-going on my coffee table project, but I did manage some progress. I cut the leg blanks out earlier last week, and then did the final milling this weekend to take them down to 1-3/4" square by 15.5" (finished table height will be 16-1/4"). Cutting those blanks from the 8/4 beech stock, I was kind of surprised at how much stress relief there was during the initial cuts at the tablesaw--causing my Forrester WWII to bind and push back a bit on the piece (my tablesaw has a 2hp motor, so it could have been a serious problem...though I was using a guard and splitter with anti-kickback pawls). I don't have my bandsaw yet, but the next time I cut anything over 5/4 I'm definitely going to use a BS for making those initial cuts.

The table is also going to have a lower shelf, fit into slots dadoed into the lower third of the tapered legs (initial layout shown in first photo). To cut those slots, I built and tested a crude jig for my crosscut sled (second photo below).

coffeeTable_legBlanks.jpg 1-coffeeTable_dadoJig.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 02-02-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Put up and finished my set of built in book shelves for the office. As I'm not going to be in this house but another year, I didn't want to spend to much money on them. I used shelving for the uprights and the shelving, 1/4 AC plywood for the back and finished the front with pine. I stained them all the same. I then worked on my dust collector. built two blast gates and strung piping across the shop. I am waiting on some hose to come in to finish it out. It's not the fanciest set up, but it's the first one I have put up so I am learning as I go.

Cut up some 12/4 and 8/4 beech for a Roubo I am finally getting around to building. Went to the woodworking show here in Columbus and spent Saturday afternoon there, very productive. Got to met my woodworking hero Glen Huey there, also tried several things at the LV/Veritas booth. Ordered a small Japanese professional grade saw from LV, going to order the Low Angle Jointer plane from them as well in a few months.

Got another coat of oil on a cherry table I am building, and got parts together for yet another cherry bedside table I am going to build for my 13 year old daughter.

Cleaned the shop up, swept under the table saw and cleaned several nooks and crannies.

Tuned up my both of my Sanley #4 planes.

Read Christopher Schwartz Workbench book from cover to cover.

Practiced some ripping technique (hand ripping) roughing out parts for a few projects.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 02-02-2015 at 2:23 PM. Reason: spelling