Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new lathe

new lathe

im looking at getting a new mini lathe as i have turned one pen, and had a blast doing it. My question is what type of mini lathe do people recommend? I want to do mostly pens small bowels,screwdrivers stuff like that. Rockler recommends their exclabier mini any thoughts would help.

i think the most widely used mini lathes are by Jet, the 1014 and the 1220.

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Results.aspx?cat=333132

another vote for the Jet mini 1014 variable speed. it's a very nice machine. mike

Buy the one your wallet will allow!

Aaron, This is one of those threads that has the same answer, buy the best lathe you can at the time you decide to start turning. If you continue to enjoy turning you will be happy that you bought a nice lathe. If you are not as thrilled with turning in a month or a year, you will have a nice lathe that will resell much easier than a cheaper one. The Excalibur for the price is a fine little lathe, but does not compare to the Jets. I have a little Steel City VS and it does everything I ask it to do but it has it's limitations just like all the small lathes.

So if you even think remotely that you will want variable speed, definitely get that, then get the largest swing you think you will want to do. So with that said it is all about money and then about fit, finish, motor size, color, swing and spindle length. Lots of variables like Jet, Rikon, General, Steel city, Penn State Industries, Harbor Freight, Rockler, and more! So if you have a turners club in your area, join and see what the other members have and you might be able to try a lot of different lathes to make a very informed purchase of your first lathe!

Have a great Monday!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Aaron, take a look at the new delta
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Aaron I have the Jet 1220 Variable speed and the Rikon. Both are excellent machines. I got to turn a bowl, pen and tool handle on the new Delta Midi VS. If it would have been out when I bought the Jet I definitely would have went with the Delta. They got that one right. Like Jeff said though there are a bunch of lathes that fit the mini bill. IMHO the Jet, Rikon or Delta would have the best resale value later if you decide to sell it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Aaron,

I was having a discussion with a friend yesterday regarding the variable speed mini lathes vs. those you just manually move the belt to a different pulley to increase or decrease speed....his comment was that you will lose torque with the variable speed lathe. So that might also be a consideration. I don't know this as fact, but the guy is pretty knowledgable and I respect his opinion.

Terry

I own both a Jet 1014 mini VS and a Delta 46-460 Midi and both are good lathes, but I highly recommend the new Delta. It is far and away superior in features, such as larger VS range (250-4000), 1 hp motor vs. 1.2hp, built in indexing, 12 1/2" swing vs. 10", and reverse.

I really like the new Delta and am very glad I bought it.

Right now, my Jet is used mainly for pens and bottlestoppers.
    Last edited by keith zimmerman; 08-17-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

One of the few times...

This is one of the few times where you will see me recommend a General lathe. If I were in the market for a mini lathe I would take a loooonnnggg look at their 25-200M1. 3/4hp, swivelling headstock, 146lbs, 40+ inches length with the extension....

HTH,
    Steve

thanks

Being new to this "turning thing" as my darling wife calls it, i like the idea of finding a trners club. And trying different lathes out, now i have to figure out how to find one. See this is the problem with you sawmill creek guys you help me solve one problem by giving me another jk. However before I buy a new lathe i want you all to know i'll be becoming a contriubter to sawmillcreek first, now i'll have to figure that out.

I had a jet 1014 mini vs and a 1642 Jet. I now have a turncraft vs from PSI. Other than a little more noise the turncraft vs is as good as the mini jet. The 1642 and the mini jet don't either one work good after setting in 10 to 14 feet of saltwater then not being able to get to them for a little over a month. I will post some pictures of them a little later.

Ok here are the pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bobby Perry; 08-18-2009 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Add pictures

As I am also looking for a new MIDI lathe. I am seriously leaning towards the new Delta 46-460.

posted pictures

wow

im sure ill being seeing them on craigslist as"almost new" jk

I am going to hang on to them for now. I might try to rebuild the mini for now and later try to rebuild the 1642. Oh by the way neither one of them or the shop was covered by insurance.