Thread: Drill press cart

Drill press cart

My drill press is too short for sitting on the ground and too tall for a normal cabinet so I made a roll-around cart.

This is my first attempt a cabinet with drawers and it includes a lot of "firsts" for me. I did bridle-like joints and moritise/tenon joints for the carcass. The mortise/tenon joints were probably a bad idea because of the direction of the grain. For the sides I used pegboard to hold things like screwdrivers etc.

So why would I build a cabinet like this when ply works fine? Because I had extra wood lying around and no extra ply .

I also did something really silly for the drawer pulls: I dovetailed them into the top of the drawer fronts.

Mostly I was just playing .

Last edited by Salem Ganzhorn; 08-16-2009 at 5:05 PM.

I think you'll have that cart for many, many years. Probably even pass it down to your kids!

Good work.
    Duane McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Duane McGuire View Post
    I think you'll have that cart for many, many years. Probably even pass it down to your kids!

Good work.
    I am not so sure . The pine-ish wood I had lying around is about the softest wood I have ever seen. It makes HD 2x4's look like oak!

But thanks for the compliment, it was fun to build.
    Salem

Blog Entries
    Nice cart and good practice.

Salem, I really like your cart especially the dove tail handle ( thats a great idea ) ....that should last forever
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Hello,
    The pine-ish wood I had lying around is about the softest wood I have ever seen. It makes HD 2x4's look like oak!
    4 or 5 coats of shellac will actually "harden" the wood.
    Preferrably orange shellac.

No - it won't work miracles, but, it will provide a barrier to everyday scuffs and bruises.

I just got done sanding 50 year old shellac w/a coat of paint over it off of some 50+ year old soft pine trim.

I really like your DP cart, Salem. Fine job. I was searching for ideas for a cart for my DP. When I saw your first photo, man, I got excited. When I saw the second one I realized that I'd have to use a step ladder to use my DP if I were to build a cart just like yours! My DP is a floor model.

You did a fine job on that cart. I'm sure that I'll refer back to yours when I start to plan mine. I'll just have to build a cart that's a little wider, enough space between the wheels to clear the base of the DP. Thanks for sharing your project.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    I really like your DP cart, Salem. Fine job. I was searching for ideas for a cart for my DP. When I saw your first photo, man, I got excited. When I saw the second one I realized that I'd have to use a step ladder to use my DP if I were to build a cart just like yours! My DP is a floor model.

You did a fine job on that cart. I'm sure that I'll refer back to yours when I start to plan mine. I'll just have to build a cart that's a little wider, enough space between the wheels to clear the base of the DP. Thanks for sharing your project.
    I have been debating buying an additional tube to convert my floor model into a bench top model. I can't forsee any time when I will need the whole length of the tube and it isn't tall enough to comfortably use as it is, I am 5' 6" and I think it could stand to be raised off the ground more. The floor model takes up a lot of usable room in my basement workshop, be nice to build some drawers underneath it.

While the design is simplistic in detail, the execution looks good, especially the dovetailed drawer handles.

It looks like you had fun building it, and got some experience to boot. How can you beat that?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    While the design is simplistic in detail, the execution looks good, especially the dovetailed drawer handles.

It looks like you had fun building it, and got some experience to boot. How can you beat that?
    Thanks for the compliment. I did have fun building it. And I am now convinced that I can never have enough drawers. Either that or you can never throw away too much crap... Throwing away junk is probably the only way I will ever fix my storage needs .

Quote Originally Posted by Salem Ganzhorn View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. I did have fun building it. And I am now convinced that I can never have enough drawers. Either that or you can never throw away too much crap... Throwing away junk is probably the only way I will ever fix my storage needs .
    AMEN! As I've been looking at my shop lately as I spend more time in it recently, appx. 12 X 48, I'm rethinking the whole storage thing. I agree, never too many drawers and never too many shelves/wall cabinets.

One problem that I have, but only from one perspective, is that there are a LOT widows on the east and south sides. The shop is appx 1/3 of a 100 year old barn. The shop used to have a dirt floor and animal stalls. I wanted a lot of natural light, thus the big widows. I'm beginning to think rolling cabinets, everything mobile!

Need drawers, need shelving space. You did a FINE job of making an otherwise dead space area useful.

Talking about storage, for example. I've recently purchased a G0555 as a second BS for curved work. It has the sturdy leg base instead of the more useful cabinet that's under the G0555X. Soooooooo, thinking about building a cabinet to replace the "legs" on the G0555, just for more storage space....then I'll need to label everything to remember where things are!

I also like your attitude of using what's on hand to build a project. I, too, enjoy that challenge.

You're off to a great start! One more thing that I've noticed: everytime timt that I build a new shop table, machine base or accessory, it actually develops both my planning skills and my woodworking skills. Win, win situation. Have you noticed that, too? Example your dovetailed drawer handles, for example; good experience.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

It looks like you are using casters from Hartville (did you get them during the sale?) I have several sets and they are the best I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan West02 View Post
    It looks like you are using casters from Hartville (did you get them during the sale?) I have several sets and they are the best I have found.
    I bought these from my local (Raleigh NC) woodcraft. They have a managers special for 10$ a piece. Not a smokin' deal but they are nice casters.

Funny, the fixed casters cost more there because they are not on sale .