Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A better bit for hollowing lidded boxes

I did not take Leo's comments as being negative.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    I agree that the tool seems more than promising and I will definitely try grinding a few bits I have lying around. Jeff has shown us some extreme close-ups back in November if I recall correctly, as well as Bill's recent pics and testament. Even more info on the various grinding would always be welcomed from those with proven success but trial and error in this case doesnt seem to be a wrong coarse of action.
    As to invention, I can only say I am probably going to own the idea of bowl turning. Yes, you read correctly!! I recently contacted a rep of a resin producer very well known to most people casting pen blanks. When telling him\her it was not for pens but bowls, the reply was, and I quote: I have never heard of bowl turning. Amazing. Look forward to learning more about this application.
    Let's see anyone top that!
    yours smugly,
    Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Zax View Post
    I agree that the tool seems more than promising and I will definitely try grinding a few bits I have lying around. Jeff has shown us some extreme close-ups back in November if I recall correctly, as well as Bill's recent pics and testament. Even more info on the various grinding would always be welcomed from those with proven success but trial and error in this case doesnt seem to be a wrong coarse of action.
    As to invention, I can only say I am probably going to own the idea of bowl turning. Yes, you read correctly!! I recently contacted a rep of a resin producer very well known to most people casting pen blanks. When telling him\her it was not for pens but bowls, the reply was, and I quote: I have never heard of bowl turning. Amazing. Look forward to learning more about this application.
    Let's see anyone top that!
    yours smugly,
    Norm
    Contrary to popular belief, I invented the telephone... You could not have, so quickly or easily, communicated YOUR remarkable discovery without mine!
    Topped?
    Oh, and I also invented wire and discovered electricity.
    Change One Thing

Jeff, I'm glad your re-evaluated your comments. Because your, "I really hate negativity" statement sounds curiously negative to me. Maybe, "I prefer positivity" would be more appropriate ;-) That said, I do like your cutter idea, even if not totally original, and will probably order one from you in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    I'm glad someone finally commented on this Jeff. Otherwise I might not have seen it... What a great idea. I've spent money on HSS tool bits from MSC, but never even thought of a drill bit and I have tons of extras...

I'm being lazy this morning so I'll ask if you can post a link to your most significant thread on the subject.
    Jim,

The only post I could find on it because I also want to try it out was this one:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...70709#poststop

If there is another one then I would like to see it as well.

Joshua

It doesn't matter to me whether or not Jeff was the first to think of this idea -- it's still a good idea and a good thing to share (or re-share as the case may be) with the forum. Thanks, Jeff, for posting it. It was the first time I had seen it done -- and I immediately thought it was so obvious that I had one of those 'why didn't I think of that' moments. Shortly thereafter, I had the idea of experimenting with some similar bits, mill cutters, rotozip cutters, etc., that with some grinding may work well too. While I had not seen that specifically done, it seems it has been done before as well (like most good ideas).

I have a dish in my shop with a number of bits of different sorts waiting for me to do some experimenting when I get around to it. With the right grind, they all could make great tools, like the numerous other hook-type tools created over the years. Hook tools are a lot of fun to use if you've never tried them.

Patent lawyers cost to darn much!

Well, It seems that all of us are in line for some sort of extravagant prize for some of our great thoughts! If ony getting something patented did not cost an arm and a leg I could have been somebody!! I was asked today if I patented my steady rest design but the answer is the same, maybe I can apply for some of that stimulus money!!! But I digress, the angle that I grind the point at is about 85-90%, Bernie got some new pics of one I just ground. I am going to figure out a jig to do it but so far it rates at the bottom of things to do. The side grind is just following the flute and back cutting it so you can ride the bevel or keep it out of the way. The thing I like about it most is that you can cut on a push, pull or drilling cut and it likes them all. when I get about 12" deep it takes a little more finesse but is still doable,just finer cuts.

Cheaper is better!! And free is the best!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Cool product Jeff. Sometimes genius is in simplicity.
    Nothing like finding an inexpensive, effective solution
    in the sea of expensive "necessities" of the vortex.

Glad everything is resolved.

We would not be human with out some minor conflicts

There are so many wonderful and talented people on this forum and we all have ideas and skills that are different to one another. Having good discussions and minor dissagreements are a good thing! Personalities will always collide and rub the fur the wrong way, but just like in a marriage finding a solution and common ground will be the best outcome.

I sound like some sort of "Shrink" and I like to babble! This is one of the reasons we all like to post on SMC. We are like a bunch of brothers and sisters who don't have a disfunctionall relationship!

Keep on dreaming and going for the brass ring and someday we all could attain glory!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

It occurred to me that no one has ever patented on "the idea", so I applied for one this morning. Please don't worry, I don't intend to quash innovation - far from it. Please have as many ideas as you want. It's just that now, I get a little piece of the action from all of them. I'm hoping that soon I can afford a lot more tools.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan, guess you better send me you PayPal info cause I'm gonna make another one...Bill..

William---The patent clerk wasn't sure if this would cover all ideas retroactively, or just new ones going forward. If the latter, technically I wouldn't be eligible for any reimbursement for you making another of Jeff's bits. Modification of said bits would be a gray area which I will need to look into. I'll let you know when I know.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Man. This is just an awesome idea. A pre-made flute to carry away the chips... I've just gotta try this out in my Oland tool.