Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"

Friday August 14, 2009

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Summer finally arrived in this part of the world this week. We've been in the 80's all week with plenty of sun. It is also the start of the high school girls golf, of which Tama, our grand-daughter is starting her second year. That has kept me busy all week with practice and today the Dells Invite.

Not likely I'll get anything done in the shop this weekend. Instead we'll be hitting the golf course for some one on one practice, before the girls have their next meet on Monday.

So how's things in your part of the world? Some big plans? Or is it a kick back weekend?

Whatever's going on enjoy your time and be SAFE.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

We just got back from vacation and the kids start school next Tuesday (son in Kindergarten, Daughter in 3rd grade). I came home to more boxes of veneer that I won on Ebay (Thin Wood and Old Tools - great place to get veneer) an I am now literally up to my knees in boxes of veneer. I'm going to spend the weekend sorting and storing it all. I'm hoping that the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore will have a flat file otherwise I'll be building one under the basement veneer bench.

The next project will be a set of chess, backgammon and cribbage boards for the auction/trivia night at the kid's school. I'm still in the design phase for the borders but will start laying up the chess and cribbage fields on Sunday if I get the storage taken care of on Saturday.

I have to finish that bathroom remodel this weekend. I am on call for work so that could put a damper on things.

And of course, mow and trim the yard.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

First full weekend in a while that I can dedicate to shop time this weekend! I have been able to steal half a day here and there, but this is going to be a full weekend! Woohoo!

I do think I may try hitting up a large garage sale happening not to far away too.

I have a Coat Rack that I have been wanting to build for awhile now. I just picked up the wood last night, so I'll be ready to start bright and early tomorrow morning.

Small fishing tournament sat, but today we bring Gracie our German Short Hair into the vet for the last time.

Not a fun weekend.

Hope ya all have a safe and well weekend.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

And of course, mow and trim the yard.

Awwww crap. I forgot about that. I wonder if the 5 year old could push a mower...

Got the joinery cut for the carcass of my wife's lathe stand. Should get to start assembly this weekend. Going to use the drawers and hardwood banding around the top as an excuse to try out the lock miter bit I bought months ago.

Blog Entries
    The grand kids arrived last night for a week with us sans parents. Tonight it will be Frisbee dogs in the park, tomorrow morning I think it will be perch fishing on Lake Erie if the wind cooperates, peach festival tomorrow afternoon at a local fruit farm, church Sunday morning and a party Sunday afternoon.

In between we can always shoot 2 liter water rockets in the back yard.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I got home from offshore Wednesday evening. I did yard work (including working on the flippin lawnmower) Thursday, plan on installing a celing fan in our poolside gazebo this evening and then build a couple of Adirondack chairs this weekend.

Summer got here in early June with 100+ degree temps but it's starting to moderate now. Our highs are only mid-nineties and we're having lows in the low-seventies. Next weekend's forecast calls for lows in the mid-sixties. Woo-Hoo!

I hope to get in some turning time this coming week.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Stacking Cherry to Dry

Got lucky and was given a cherry tree blown down in a recent storm. Had a fine older gentleman with a bandsaw mill work my butt into the ground a couple of evenings this week. Tomorrow is stack and sticker day. I've got to move about 300 bf of dry cherry out of the way to get this freshly cut 350-400 bf stacked on the bottom. It will soon be time to start a significant project in cherry.

Yeah!

Andy

P.S. I still have a "crotch" from the tree free to anyone who'll come and get it.

I've got to run out to Rochester this afternoon and return my dad's trailer that I borrowed a few weeks ago. My wife & I will stay a while and visit my grandmother for dinner. Tomorrow I am going to the Erie Co. Fair to do demonstrations for my turning club. They take over the porch of one of the buildings, and do demos and sell all sorts of turnings (and even some f***work) with every penny going to Make-A-Wish. Last year they raised over $14K. Hopefully it will be much more this year. Wish me luck - this will be my first demo ever.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.