Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommends on air filtration system - Grizzly, Jet, Penn?

Recommends on air filtration system - Grizzly, Jet, Penn?

I read a lot about building your own air filtration unit from a box fan or furnace blower but I am still looking at manufactured one to get the extra features like timers, etc. I think that if build your own and buy 2 or more levels of filters and bags or electrostatic filters you are approaching the cost of a factory made one ( I maybe wrong?).
    I would like to know if you have any experience with the Grizzly G0572 or G9956.
    Do these have equal performance to the Jet or Penn?
    What are the critical performance criteria to look for?

JDS AirTech

Don, Not sure if you are interested, but WOOD Mag did a review of these a while back. The best one that they tested was the JDS AirTech 750 ER. This is the one that I am planning on getting and it runs about $350. I have heard nothing but good things about this air filter from others. I am pretty sure that it has all the features that you would want. Check it out.

Chuck

The most efficient AAC is the JDS based on testing. I bought the Jet AF-1000 as the difference in efficiency did not justify spending 50% more on the JDS. I find it to be very effective even if I'm doing heavy sanding on the disc sander or lathe it only takes a couple minutes to clear the "foggy" air.

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    The most efficient AAC is the JDS based on testing. I bought the Jet AF-1000 as the difference in efficiency did not justify spending 50% more on the JDS. I find it to be very effective even if I'm doing heavy sanding on the disc sander or lathe it only takes a couple minutes to clear the "foggy" air.
    Where do you get your 50% more from? A new Jet on Amazon is 329.99. The JDS new from Woodcraft is 339.00. I can definitely see spending 10 buck to get the cleaner air.

Chuck

I own the Delta model and it works well. Not sure how one would filter better than the other as they are mostly built the same.

I belong to the camp that believes that a shop air cleaner should only be run after you are done for the day. Why would you want a blower keeping the harmful dust suspended in the air as you are working.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have the jet and have been happy with it, it does well to clear the foggy air and keep the dust down around the shop. I like the pre filter I can get at home depot, same size as a furnis filter easy to repalce. Trouble is once the dust is in the air you are already brething it, a real dust collector at the source is much better.
    -=Jason=-

I have the Jet.

Based on the collected dust on the filter, I know that it works well. Based on the soft blanket of dust on my shop, I know that it doesn't work well enough. I bought the Jet on the spur of the moment once while in Rockler. If the JDS has better reviews, I'd probably go with it.

Tip: Don't place your air filtration remote anywhere near a dust collection port, else you may forever be tip-toeing to turn it on each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Yeager View Post
    I have the Jet.

Based on the collected dust on the filter, I know that it works well. Based on the soft blanket of dust on my shop, I know that it doesn't work well enough. I bought the Jet on the spur of the moment once while in Rockler. If the JDS has better reviews, I'd probably go with it.

Tip: Don't place your air filtration remote anywhere near a dust collection port, else you may forever be tip-toeing to turn it on each time.
    Sorry but I have to say that the thing about the remote and the dc is funny. I will have to remember that. Being in a wheelchair, it would really suck if I lost the remote.

I have the Jet Air Filter and am pleased with especially as previously noted the replaceable pre-filter. It is a bit noisy but all of them are. I also have a Jet dust collector piped into the shop. Between the two of them, it really keeps the dust down except when I am sawing something like MDF. If it gets too dusty, I just take a break and leave the shop for 10 minutes. I am using the Jet remote for the air filter and an aftermarket on the dust collector as it needs to work through the walls. I typically hang them from the ceiling near where I am working so that it is easy to turn them on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jeansonne View Post
    What are the critical performance criteria to look for?
    The performance I was looking for was to keep the shop air rather dust free while I was working! Before I built my dust collector, the shop air always had a cloud of dust when I was working at or near my bench, using routers, sanders, saws, ect.

Now I can work for hours with those tools, while the air stays clean. You can actually watch the dust cloud being sucked into the filter. One of it's best features is that it is nearly silent!

The fan and motor costs about $100, and produces 1500 cfm. The cabinet also serves as a bench extension and tool box with the handy drawers.

Once you have one, you would not want to work without it. I imagine one hanging near where you work would work pretty good also, but I made mine before the others were available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 08-13-2009 at 3:15 PM.

Nice, Tom!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    The JDS has won every bake-off I have read. Dad got one and is very happy with it. I built my own and added a $10 remote controlled outlet thingy that is marketed to turn Christmas lights on and off that are plugged into non-switched outlets (no timer feature though). The BORG's have them.

I got a 1650 CFM gable fan on sale for about $35 (now $80 I noticed the other day, WOW) and built the box to accept t pre-filters and a post filter of a standard size. I pick up filters on clearance and wherever on sale when I see them. Building to an uncommon size may fit your space better but will minimize the opportunity for cheap filters. ;-)

Total cost on mine was pretty low as I built the box out of some T1-11 that a neighbor was tossing out.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Now you tell me!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Yeager View Post
    I have the Jet.

I did that with my dust collector remote. I couldn't fit all the pieces back together, so I ordered a replacement remote. It was more economical to get it through my local Jet distributor than get it online. The unit's price was the same, but I didn't have to pay shipping
    Tom.

Very Happy with my JDS 750. I picked up a pair of them slightly used from a local supplier for $250. Now that was a deal. The first one needed a new remote circuit board, which JDS sent me for free. That was impressive. I ended up hard wiring the control panel to a box on the wall anyway, so now I can use the remote or use my thumb. (I lose remotes all the time) One of mine is made in the US and the other is made in China. Can't see much difference in the finish or quality. Wish they were still made in NA.
    Last edited by Bob Slater; 08-13-2009 at 9:41 AM.
    Bob S.
    http://www.lancasterfm104.com/history.html

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    I have the jet and have been happy with it, it does well to clear the foggy air and keep the dust down around the shop. I like the pre filter I can get at home depot, same size as a furnis filter easy to repalce. Trouble is once the dust is in the air you are already brething it, a real dust collector at the source is much better.
    What he said. I run an air filter but rely on the D.C. to get the vast bulk of the dust where it's created. Except on portable power tools like ROS's and routers, shop vacs don't cut it for me. More CFMs are better.