Thread: NOVA 1624 noise problem...

NOVA 1624 noise problem...

Hi – this is my first posting; I’ve been following everyone’s great comments and help for the past 6 months on this forum.
    Here’s a question for fellow Nova users. Just brought a NOVA 1624 and finally got to use it this past weekend, but boy is it noisy! There is a loud almost constant clicking noise coming out from the headstock area. I checked in the trouble shooting section of the manual and it seems to be a problem with the 1624 pulleys.
    Have followed the advise – tightened the pulley sets, tightened the pulley itself. Perhaps for about 3- 4 minutes the clicking goes away but always returns- and it’s loud! But for some reason it doesn’t click when run in reverse.
    Has anyone else run across this problem and found a solution? Figured I’d ask the forum before calling Teknatool. Thanks Roland

roland, i have a machine like yours. have not had the noise issue, however. first thing that comes to mind is to look at your drive belt; i go through 2 or 3 each year, due to them wearing on the sharp edges of the pulleys. if there is a 'flap' of belt loose, that could be the prob. mike

are you sure your belt doesn't have a piece of banding broken and flapping.

Also don't overtighten your belt.

also check and make sure the pulley's are away and not touching the sides of the headstock.

also keep an eye on pulley movement. Both of my pulleys wanted to move. Nova tech service said to put some red locktite on the pulley shafts to keep them from moving.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Belt

Thanks - I give all those a try when I get home tonight. I may have tightened the belt too tight.

I have this lathe and the only noise I have ever experienced was the belt door rattling when I forgot to tighten the little knob. I would agree about not tightening the belt too tight. I would also take the belt off and examin it for a flap hanging off of it. That would be a good explanation for the missing noise when in reverse.

I have one too and had some clicking and it was the main motor arm mounting bolts was a tad loose. Also check the set screws on the pulleys.

you know, now that we're on the subject of that area of Nova's 1624 (not to hijack the thread) but my motor moves slighty, up and down as it were, as the shaft rotates. don't remember noticing this before - does anyone else see this in their lathe? is it normal for this machine? mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    you know, now that we're on the subject of that area of Nova's 1624 (not to hijack the thread) but my motor moves slighty, up and down as it were, as the shaft rotates. don't remember noticing this before - does anyone else see this in their lathe? is it normal for this machine? mike
    I would not think that that is not normal. My motor does not move at all. The only thing I can think of to cause that is you have a flat/stiff spot on the belt AND you are not tightening up the motor lock after adjusting the speed. I suppose also that the pully set screw could be loose causing some movement, but here again I would think that the motor lock is not tightened down in either case.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

mY motor moved alot and I had to keep tightening it up or else the pulleys would scrape.
    “The key to change... is to let go of fear.”

pulley

I want to thank everyone, got home last and turned for about 2 hours and not a peep out of the lathe. I tighten the pulley set and loosened the belt and now it's fine. Seems like I was tightening the belt way too tight. Probably came from working on engines.

Question for Mike - where did you buy the extra pulley?

Roland - just wanted to jump on here and Welcome you to the Creek! Glad to hear you got your noise problem taken care of! Hope to see some of your turnings real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Woodcraft has them - search on Nova 3000 belt.

Woodcraft has them - search on Nova 3000 belt

shoot, I've got a belt, and no nova, going to waste. PM me and I'll send it to ya.
    “The key to change... is to let go of fear.”

Welcome Roland to SMC and glad you got the lathe fixed.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.