Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Kitchen Project

Blog Entries
    Fantastic work Matt. Great job so far.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Matt, Awsome job so far! Did you use cope/stick bits for the doors or the Norm style tounge and groove? I see they are flat panel, if you used cope/stick are the panels plywood?

They are tongue and groove, but create with a router bit set from Amana that has adjustable cutters. A friend loaned me his dual-router table, so I have to stick and cope bits set up on them and can switch easily. A huge timesaver.

The panels are actually MDF-core cherry plywood. Very nice stuff.

So close I can see the light.

We went camping this weekend. Should have stayed home, finished, and went next weekend since it rained all weekend, but still nice to get a break and it was trick-or-treating at the campground so my daughter still had fun.

I got a few hours in tonight prepping the stock for the filler strips (no, we don't need that many, but I made some extras just in case.) Also remade the glass doors due to a design change (shorter height to allow more room for crown molding) between when I made the first and when I made all the panel doors.

That completes all the cherry parts, save ripping a bunch of toekick stock from a to-be-purchased sheet of cherry ply. I also need to make the cookie sheet pullout and baseboard heat register covers. I plan to be finished by Friday, then spend the weekend THOUROUGHLY cleaning the shop.

Tonight I rabbeted the glass doors for glass. I'll take them to the local hardware store to get the glass (plain for now at least.) And I built the cookie sheet pullout, an exercise in cutting angles and dados. Domino joinery for that too, to match the other pullouts.

That just leaves cutting toekick stock and making some register covers. I need stock for both so a trip to the hardwood dealer and plywood dealer in Toledo are in store for Wednesday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And tonight I finished up building the last item on my list--register covers for the baseboard heating. Actually one is for one of their bathrooms and I've had it on my todo list for over a year so I built it at the same time. These get primed and painted. They are rustic soft maple which has some staining and worm holes which are easily filled.

I spent an hour or two on Tuesday night doing some cleaning up, including getting the left over plywood in my plywood rack which gave me back a bunch of floor space.

Remaining tasks include edgebanding the fronts of all the shelves, boring all the hinge holes, sanding all the doors, drawer fronts, panels, etc, and spraying everything. Demo of the old kitchen is 2 weeks from today, and I'm on the hook for installing everything 5 weeks from this coming weekend.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 10-08-2009 at 9:35 PM.

Matt:

I'm continually amazed by the speed of your progress on this. I have been building a crib and a basic dresser, which has taken absolutely forever to complete.

This is really, really impressive.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hoppe View Post
    I'm continually amazed by the speed of your progress on this.
    Matt actually has a twin brother (named Matt) who lives in his garage helping with all the shop work. Then there is his other twin (Matt) who deals with the lawn work and covers most of his day job also...

"It's Not About You."

If Matt has two twin brothers and himself, wouldn't they be triplets not twins?

No, the other two aren't twins to each other, just to me.

Tonight I drilled all the pockets for the hinges and numbered every door and drawer front. As I was drilling and labeling, I discovered that I somehow made and extra of one of the doors. Suppose I'm going to have to make a cabinet for the shop so that doesn't go to waste. I remember thinking I cut all the pieces and later discovering that I came up short. I must of forgotten to mark that one off the list after glue-up.

I also edgebanded all the shelves (just the front side--seems like a waste to do all sides IMHO.) For that, I used the Fastcap self-adhesive PVC material with a fake maple print. You have to look pretty close to see its fake. Very easy to use and fast.

Tomorrow I'm taking all the panels to a friends to run through his wide drum sander for leveling. Then lots and lots of sanding.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 10-09-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Not a ton of progress to report the last few days. Saturday we sanded all the panels on my friend's drum sander and then as many as we dared on his (kind of narrow) wide-belt sander. The latter will just need minor ROS sanding, edge sanding, and hand sanding to break the edges, etc. The bigger ones will need more extensive ROS sanding.

Due to a work comittment the schedule just tightened. I basically HAVE to be done with the install on 11/15. Mom talked to the contractor tonight--they might move up the start date a few days if they finish another job this week. Demo could start as early as Monday next week.

I just joined this site and have only been woodworking for about a year and all I can say is OH MY GOD!!!! Matt, that is truly astonishing. I built a 4'x8'x24"deep entertainment center using basic box design with a face frame and shelves and it took me 2 weeks! Truly a great job.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Today I got the shop cleaned, then started finishing.

First I put Seal-A-Cell on the island and some other parts that were already sanded.

Then I sprayed the first coat of EM6000 on about 3/4 of the drawers. That's all I had room to set out! For these, I'm just spraying with 3 coats of EM6000. They need a decent sanding after the first for raised grain. To give them a little color, I put some TransTint Honey Amber Dye (6 drops/20oz cup) in the EM6000. I looks really yellow under the regular flourescent lights in the shop, but in the spray booth with true color lamps it looks more natural.

Tomorrow I'll hopefully finish all these parts. Then I can start installing drawers between finishing steps on the rest of the parts. It will also allow me to completely finish the island assembly.

Making great progress Matt.

I usually build a few boxes, move to finishing room and start staining and spraying those, then continue on building other boxes and such.
    I rotate this way so my finish room doesn't get all jammed up, and I have to wait for the finish to dry.