Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kitchen Project

Matt,
    What's the FF material? Maple as well?

Cherry. Solid cherry for face frames, door/drawer frames, trim, etc, and some A1 1/4" cherry ply ($$$$$) for the door and drawer panels.

Matt, The picture with the router in it, Is that an old Parks planer in the back ground?

Mark

Yes it is a Parks. Its all ready to be reassembled except that I need to get the cabinet I'm going to mount it on sandblasted. Planned to do it early this summer, but since I didn't do much that didn't involve sitting around until August, it has to wait until the kitchen is done.

Tonight's task was to drive up to a friend's place an hour away to pick up the material for the door panels. He's got an account with a wholesale supplier and ordered it for me. Got some beautiful curly cherry veneered MDF which will make for nice panels.

Today I worked out the final finishing schedule I'm going to use with the help of a friend (who does AMAZING work.) Originally I'd planned to use Sealcoat with some dye for coloration followed by EM6000 (the USL replacement.) Then I started reading about crazing with Sealcoat and got scared. Last night I talked to a him about what he does, knowing that he is a big fan of USL and decided to go with a schedule he's used in the past. So at lunch today I took back the Sealcoat to Menards and went to Woodcraft. The schedule will be:

1) Seal-A-Cell -- He uses this over BLO because he said he found that it actually dries. Plus it just gives a really nice appearance. He lets it dry 24 or more hours.
    2) The Target WB shellac (2 VERY light coats)
    3) EM6000

I like the shelf pin Jig as well. I was looking at the Pinnacle or Woodpecker shelf pin jig as I figured it would be a sound investment when I go to start the project. Looks like the NYW jig did you right.

I didn't think the FF was cherry, I was thinking it was maple.

Philip, Austin's a dangerous place for me. I usually have to bring my better half along so she'll stop me from having to re-mortgage the house when I go there. Joking aside, you got it right, Austin's a great place.

Matt, keep it up bud, you're tearing through this project. I hope I can be as diligent and fast as you are.

T
    Please try to explain what you think you don't understand!!

Matt,

I've been looking at the progress you've made, looks great!!

I wondered if you used any cut sheet software to figure your materials or if you did it the old fashioned way.

Keep up the good work

Troy, yes and no. I did a rough cutlist to estimate materials, then bought extra and I'm building the cabinets a few at a time. It would have been nearly impossible to manage all the pieces (not to mention my inevitable errors) if I'd cut all the parts at once.

We'll see how that works out this weekend. I have 14 sheets left out of 24. Cutlist Plus said I needed 21. I'm hoping to finish off the boxes (including a few of the biggest ones) this weekend so we'll see what I have left.

Last night and today's progress (so far.) The big box is the bottom part of the pantry cabinet--24x24x72. And there's a 24x24x24 box that goes above that.

All of the rectangular boxes are now built. I have to build 2 standard upper corner cabinets with a 45 degree front. And a monster corner cabinet with a 45 degree front that will be the sink base.

I was rearranging stuff in the storage unit and realized I could make some pieces that would fit into the tracks inside to hold the sheet goods vertical. I kind of like it--it would be nice to have some of this in an area of the shop if you could afford to give up the wall space. Edit--just realized these look like ducks. Have to let LOML jr. decorate them as such.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-29-2009 at 10:32 PM.

And then there was one. Tomorrow hopefully will see the sink base built and then all 19 boxes will be DONE!!!!

I'm pretty happy with the way these two turned out. U8--over the corner sink. And U4 -- uhh...NOT over the sink. These both get glass doors. Originally planned for leaded glass until the bid for those came in. Dad won that one (and only that one.)
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-29-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Great looking cabinet work Matt

I'm saving this one to my favorites, since I'll be building a set for my own house this winter. Thanks for the ideas. Keep the progress and pictures coming.

Matt. You mentioned a huge corner sink.
    Theres a way to inset it back in closer to the wall, with a smaller box.
    Upper box will be hard to reach with a full size corner sink.

Yeah, I've been warning my mom about that but she's insistent. She wants a big sink and that cabinet. Plus there are windows going in on either side of the corner cabinet, so I couldn't make it bigger and pull the cabinet forward somehow. She says that cabinet it going to be for display and so she's not worried.

I should have asked about that earlier in the process--because I'm headed out to the shop to build that particular cabinet right now.

Yea late to the party with my advice.

Maybe next time. Lol

This is a full size sink. Cab is inset back closer to the wall so the windows can be accessed.

tn_Wrapped up Done 011.jpg

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54001
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 08-30-2009 at 8:00 PM.

Today was a milestone as the last box is now constructed. Steve's advise was rejected by the client and the monster box is done. The piece at the top near the front is just a temporary brace that will be removed when we get it in place. Too floppy otherwise and I don't want anyone carrying it by the faceframe.

Also cleaned up the shop and sorted through all the offcuts and put the junkers in the burn pile. A fair amount of what's left will be usable for the non-fixed shelves in all the upper cabinets.

Oh, and LOMLjr colored a couple of the Ducks.

The plan for the week ahead is sanding all the face frames and finishing them. My goal is to get them mounted to the boxes by the end of the day next Monday.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-30-2009 at 9:12 PM.