Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kitchen Project

Rejected. Huh. Lol

Looking good Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Rejected. Huh. Lol
    Be thankful she doesn't live near you anymore.

Gotcha.

I'm dealing with a 80 year old now with her new cabinets I'm building. Sheesh. 4-5 changes before I started.
    2 changes after I started.

I just know she'll change something else.

My parents aren't even close to that old. But my mom knows what she wants (even if its nonstandard or nonworkable.) They should have replaced this kitchen in 1980 when they bought the house so she's had a lot of time to dream about what she wants.

Wow, 21 days from the first post and you have all face frames built and all boxes built. Well done sir.

By the way, nice looking shop as well.

Unless I missed it in an earlier post, how long did it take you to do the design?

I saw where you said you used Sketch-up for some of the design. I've just started dabbling in Sketch-up but have a ways to go to get anywhere near fluent. Just curious how long it may have taken you in the design phase?

I have an intital design (on graph paper w/ basic cabinet dim's, but nothing uber detailed) for ours, and will use that as a base to get deeer into the design.

I'm still waiting to get my shop wired for 220 and a 100 amp sub then comes the Saw Stop 3h PCS, then I need to get it in gear.

T
    Please try to explain what you think you don't understand!!

We started designing on the computer late spring I believe it was. I started with sketchup and a basic layout of the cabinets, not worrying about exact sizes. We finally got a good idea of what she wanted and then I designed a block diagram showing overall dimensions of each box. I worked out the construction details from there. There is no super-detailed plan. But I can pull up the sketchup drawing, take overall dimensions off a box, and design the box from that.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up kitchen rolls on...

Hi Matt,
    Great progress on your parent's kitchen build,
    and great pics and thread.
    I'm enjoying the process, and maybe learning a couple things too!

Your shop looks like a terrific workspace.
    Feels like you are really flying on this large project.

Looking forward to more,
    Thanks for sharing,
    Walt

ps the colourful ducks enhance the whole show!
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Great Job Matt!!

Could you give some detail on how you are doing the toe kick cutouts ?

Charlie

Charlie, I cut most of them on the table saw. One set I cut with my Festool saw, and one, on the sink, I cut with the jigsaw because I forgot until the cabinet was built. Since there's a dado just above the toekick, I could slightly overcut and account for the round blade and not have anything visible.

Tonight I completely sanded 10 face frames and have the other 9 about 1/3 of the way through the sanding process. Another 2 hours or so of sanding and all will be done. I was quite surprised at how much the cherry had darkened in the shop in three weeks. Some pieces had very obvious shadows from the parts in front of them.

I also applied Seal-A-Cell to one piece to see the color. Beautiful, but my mom is going to be worried about how light it is right now. I found some photos of our cherry vanity, which doesn't even see that much sunlight other than spending a couple days in the sun to get a tan and was shocked at how light it was when I made it over the winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 08-31-2009 at 9:10 PM.

OK where are the important pics? I want to see the ducks!! lol I am sure your LOML jr did a great job.

Blog Entries

Arrow oh... the colours

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Paulus View Post
    OK where are the important pics? I want to see the ducks!! lol I am sure your LOML jr did a great job.
    Hi Marty,
    Try the 4th pic in Matt's post #45 in this thread.
    hehe
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

I'll try to remember to get closeups tomorrow.

Over the last couple days I applied the finish to all the face frames and just sprayed the last coat about an hour ago. Tomorrow I will be starting to attach them to the boxes. As I go, I'll also be creating a spreadsheet of all the opening sizes (actual measured rather than planned.) Then on to the island.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking really good so far Matt! Are you making the doors too?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Looking really good so far Matt! Are you making the doors too?
    Yes I am. Waiting for a router bit set to come in early this week so I can start those after the island. For the island, I happened to get one sheet of the cherry ply I'm using for panels that is 5.2mm and I already had a shaker-style bit set for 5.2mm ply.

One thing that's really going to help there is the router table I borrowed from a friend Its a dual router Bench Dog table with dual lifts. I'll be able to set up one side for the rail cuts and one for stiles and keep my setup until I'm done.