Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Laser to buy

Which Laser to buy

I am looking at a Epilog 36EXT and a LaserPro Sprit GX can anyone tell me which one they would buy and why

No, read the old posts. That same basic question gets asked every week.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Odell View Post
    I am looking at a Epilog 36EXT and a LaserPro Sprit GX can anyone tell me which one they would buy and why
    Welcome to the Creek! Sorry if we sound a bit short, but the question as to which laser to buy comes up VERY often. The short answer is that it depends on exactly what you want to do with it and what kind of deal you can get. Both are excellent machines and many people here have one or the other and are very satisfied. Our general advice is worry (a lot) more about your business plan and Corel skills than which brand of laser to buy.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I look aver the forums and I did miss it but as far a the business plan goes got that one covered just want some info from people that was running the machines got about the same deal on either machine with in 400 of each other and you know sales men there machine is always better

Hi Peter and welcome to the Creek. I've not been here very long, but I found this forum very helpful as I shopped for my first laser. It is not one of the two you are considering, so I can't comment on the attributes of one over the other.

I would suggest that you query your salespersons to get a good understanding and committment of after purchase support. My salesman can log on to my PC remotely and help me through snags and has always been available when I needed a question answered. Of course we have an understanding that I don't cry wolf for every detail. We have worked out a system of communication that lets him know if I have a general question or if I'm dead-in-the-water. We run an at-home business, so my work hours can be almost anytime, so we have an understanding about how late in the evening he will be available.

Good luck on your selection and your learning curve. Our application was to replace three rotary machines and increase the quality of our product, and the laser has allowed us to do that. It has also allowed us to develop new products that are just too difficult to make on a rotary machine.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Epilog, US made, great tech support.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Peter,

Everything you need to know is in this Forum. Don't just ask one question and be satisfied...start reading from page one and heed the advise you are given. Pay particular attention to the threads where people were having problems to see if the manufacturer helped them.

Laser engravers are just machines, what you are purchasing is the company support and if they don't provide the support and parts you "WILL" need you will regret the day you saw their machine.

Epilog..hands down.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

If I were buying my first laser, I would choose the dealer with a good repair guy who is close by. Not that you expect problems, but you should anticipate that something might happen.... You can get a lot of help from this forum, but sometimes you really need a dedicated tech guy.

I chose Epilog and would do it again, but that's based on the great tech support I get and ease of getting replacement parts, NOT based on any bad experience with another brand.

I see other brands that have small differences, different features or snazzier looking cases, but on this forum you will find happy owners of all brands.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I have 2 Epilogs...and there's No Question here. Epilog all the way for me.

It's not so much the machine, but the service behind it that counts. Both machines have had problems from time-to-time, but they have NEVER been down more that a day or two because of their quick and dedicated technical support.

Epiolog support is simply OUTSTANDING!
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

11. Buy the one where you feel you'll get the best support since there isn't any big difference between the machines.
    I have a laserpro mercury II and is very happy with it.

I believe there is a big difference in machines and that you should do a thorough comparison of features. Brands with a good reputation for good after sale tech support include Epilog, Trotec and ULS.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have had my Universal VLS230 about 6 months and am very happy with it. The salesman that I bought it from has been easily available for the few questions that I did not find answers to here at the Creek.
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

I am expecting my second Universal Laser Systems machine next week. I feel I have a good support tech, but I have not had to use him in the past three years I have had my first Universal Laser. I do see a lot of folks commenting on how good the Epilog support is.......
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W
    Universal VLS4.60 50W
    Universal M-300 50w
    ShopBot PRSAlpha48
    Techno LC4848
    Oneway 2436

If you are going to be doing big work and need to use a pass through feature then make sure you see it in action first, don't rely on here say
    Epilog Legend EXT 60w-Corel X4
    Skype me .

There's a lot more good than evil,
    and there's a lot more joy than pain.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley
    of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil:
    for thou art with me;
    thy rod and thy staff
    they comfort me."