Thread: another bevy of boxes

another bevy of boxes

Our club meeting is next week so I've been busy turning boxes for our club challenge. I wanted to challenge myself by doing several things I hadn't done before (nested, natural edge, multi-axis, etc)

The first photo is the same nested set I posted here about 10 days ago. I decided I could do one better so I gave it another shot, the results of my second attempt are in the 2nd photo. Both sets are Burmese Rosewood from my local Woodcraft and both sets have small ring bases turned from the same piece of wood.

The 3rd box is a piece of Quina with a Holly spline and a Holly ring base to rest in.

The 4th box is a multi-axis box turned out of Honey Locust. A total of 4 centers were used to turn this box. It has a round top and round bottom and rests in a ring also out of Honey Locust.

The last one is a natural edge box out of Box Elder Burl, again resting on a ring made out of Box Elder Burl. I normally start all of my boxes between centers and use the tailstock for support whenever possible but didn't want to mar the natural edge so I had to figure out another method.

Comments and critiques (good and bad) are welcome.

Thanks
    Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jason - you will really get some attention at your next club meeting with these! Very nice work!

I see on the older set that you hollowed out the smallest box - must have been a challenge to hold that small of an item!

Your off-axis piece is really cool as you don't find many triangular shaped boxes! The Box Elder always grabs attention because of all the little spikes!

Very nice work on all of these! Hope you win something at your meeting!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice!

Jason,

Those look like some very nice boxes. Of the set, I think I like the honey locust box the most, but I'd like to reserve judgment until I had a chance to see the boxes in person. I wish I could be at the club meeting next week, just for that chance.

Unfortunately, I'll be flying up to Utah for training/vacation this coming Saturday. After the sun goes down and the shop drops to under 110 degrees, I'll brave the heat this evening and turn my bring back turning. Any volunteers to deliver it to the club meeting next Saturday?