Thread: What grit on grinding wheel?

What grit on grinding wheel?

After reading the nice thread on grinding systems I am curious as to what grits people use on their grinding wheel. From pros through gifted amatuers I have seen everything from 40 to 120.

In an ideal setup I think I would like to have two grinders. One high speed one low speed and four different wheels. I currently have a 60 and an 80. What are your thoughts?

Regards, Steve

Steve - I use a 120 grit and a 150 grit wheel on my slow speed grinder. I opted for the 150 because I wanted something so I could just touch up the edge on my gouges. Works very well for that - just don't try to reshape your tool unless you have some time to spend at the grinder!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve!

I am using two grinders, a 6" high speeed, and an 8" low speed. I have a wire btush and a 60 grit wheel on th high speed, along with a PSI "table". On the eight" I use the vari grind, and the "table". Great versatility, And maximizes use.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Steve, I like your idea of a finer (150) wheel for touch ups. Should give a finer edge and smoother cuts. Would you say that the finer edge remains useable longer before the next touch up?
    Richard in Wimberley

I have an 80 grit wheel on one side and a 150 on the other. Ther primary reason for the 150 is that the tools will last a lot longer. Finding 150 grit wheels is more of a problem though as they are seldom available in grits finer than 120. The finer grits don't really seem to cut better or keep an edge longer. I did have a 320 grit wheel for a while. It works, but some times, it just didn't take off enough steel to renew the edge. I also have a 40 and 60 grit wheel on another grinder for shaping.

robo hippy

I've just acquired an 8" slow setup for initial shaping and plan on building a sharpening station w/ my 6" high speed, wire brush and 60g, slow speed with 80g / 120g (with wolverine flat and bar jig) and my tormek with standard 220g A/O stone.

I've had a lot of experience on the Tormek prior to turning so I can get near perfect repeatability on the T machine for each grind, although I am considering getting a second gouge jig so I can set it to my Ellsworth grind and set one to a more traditional fingernail (requires allen to switch between the two).

I'm thinking about a large lazy susan for all 3 on the end of a bench which I'll be mounting my wife's 1014. I've not yet noodled through the design yet though and it's subject to change.

mike

Grinder Grits

I have a slow speed grinded with an 80 grit and 100 grit wheels. The finer grit will give you a much sharper edge, but this is for sharpenning, not grinding.

Steve I have 80 and 120 on mine. Found these do just fine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

A lot probably depends on what type of grinding wheel you're talking about. I hear numbers tossed about but not what type of wheel people are using. I use a Norton 3x 80 grit wheel in 8" size in a Delta 1750 rpm grinder, and like it best for general sharpening. Also have a 6" x 3//4" 120 grit white wheel in a Baldor 1750rpm grinder It works also, but prefer the 8" x 1" wheels for easier grinding.