Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bowl teaching DVD's?

For the 89th time, Bill Grumbine....

Buy them, you'll watch them again and again.....

You can do searches on You Tube, but some of the videos are pretty lame, some are very interesting and informative. It's hit or miss.....

Bill Grumbine's videos are without a doubt, a must for any turner. Lyle Jamieson's 'Bowl Basics the easy way' is also a good one to have. It is a very comprehensive 2-DVD set which last over 4 hours........Tony

Yet another vote for Bill Grumbine's videos. To me - the most important thing in his first video is how to make the 4 different cuts with a swept back wing style gouge. That made a huge difference in my skills as a turner!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Bill Grumbine seems to be the favorite but I'll throw out another: David Ellsworth Signature Gouge video. It's the only video I own so far and has helped me out a lot.

I agree with the others on Bill G’s.
    You may want to also try Richard Raffan, and Dennis White.
    Dennis’s have very little verbiage but has a LOT of close-ups. He does all of the turning in with a ½ inch gouge in the bowl video including a finial.
    As far as renting, I prefer to buy, you can then watch as long as you want to and resell.
    I just sold seven in the "classified" section for about 2/3 of what I paid for them. So I paid 30 for Bills and only got 20 back, not bad for having them about four months and viewing them all I wanted to.
    Mike
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Oh yah!

The thing that makes Bill's videos special is they are well thought out , and more importantly Bill is a teacher.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Without a doubt, the Bill Grumbine set of videos is by far the best. You could also check into John Jordan's video as well as Mike Mahoney and Stuart Batty, "Two Ways to Turn a Bowl".

Some turning clubs have lending libraries that make these videos available to members.

All of the above, plus Bob Hamilton. He is a Creeker.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

I liked Bills DVDs as well as the Two Ways to make a bowl from Mike Mahoney and Stewart Batty. This one is good in that it shows 2 different approaches to turning a bowl, but not really how to turn a bowl. The Dave Ellsworth one on using his gouge is handy as well. View as many as you can. You can learn something from just about all of them. The hard thing to learn is what will work best for you. I can't recomend mine because I haven't done it yet.

robo hippy

Another vote for Bill Grumbine's -Turned bowls made easy

Jerry

A slight difference of opinion

I own and love Bill Grumbine's videos. I recommend them highly. However, as much as I like them, I strongly believe Lyle Jamieson'sBowl Basics the Easy Way is better than both of Bill's videos combined.As I've said before, I believe Lyle's Bowl Basics the Easy Way may be the best turning video, on any topic, I've ever seen. (I own, at last count, better than 20 videos, and have seen a lot more. So, my opinion's not based on a limited sample.)

Why do I believe Lyle's video is so good?

• He covers things in greater depth and detail than you'll see in other videos. After all, this is a two DVD video that covers the making of just ONE bowl. In 4 hours, Lyle simply has more time to show and explain things.
    • He clearly explains why he thinks one approach is better than another. Lyle has strong opinions about a lot of things. Rather than just sharing those opinions, he explains why he holds those opinions.
    • He covers more topics. In addition to showing you how to turn a bowl -- covering all the usual topics -- he shows you how to tune up your lathe so it doesn't vibrate as much, etc.
    • He makes extensive use of diagrams and models. In addition to showing Lyle doing something, such as a push cut, the video makes use of diagrams and models to help you understand how and why Lyle's doing what he's doing.

Bill may be funnier. He might be more entertaining. But Lyle's not boring, and if you're to judge a "how to" video on how well it teaches you to do something, Lyle's video just does a better job of TEACHING than any other I've seen. I have and had watched Bill's videos before I bought Lyle's. I had turned several bowls before I watched Lyle's video. I still learned more from Lyle's video than I had from any other bowl turning video.

Note: This is obviously a subjective judgment. People learn differently and respond differently to different types of instruction. So, for what it's worth, I've seen a lot of videos. I'm glad I own Bill's and still watch them occasionally. However, if I could only have one bowl turning video, it would by Lyle's.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...l_basics?Args=
    Last edited by David Walser; 08-07-2009 at 1:52 PM. Reason: Add the link.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up DVD's ordered...

Good Day Turners,
    Just a quick update:
    I have ordered and am waiting on both of Bill Grumbine's DVDs.
    I placed my order direct with his website, thinking he probably makes
    a little more money that way, over retail.
    He seems to be well liked and a good guy...
    so it was a little something extra I could do for him.
    http://www.wonderfulwood.com/

Also, I ordered Lyle Jamieson's DVDs from his website as well.
    I liked that his show sounds comprehensive and thoroughly explained.
    Thanks to Tony G. and David W. for tossing this one into the mix.
    https://www.lylejamieson.com/information/video.asp

Thanks a bunch to all who responded and were helpful!
    If I crave further bowl DVDs my wish list would probably be Mahoney and Ellsworth.

Special thanks to David Walser for taking the time to post a detailed and informative response. Buddy, ya sold me!
    see you in the sawdust,
    Walt
    Last edited by Walt Caza; 08-25-2009 at 6:46 PM. Reason: typo
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Someone else to consider is William Grumbino. He has two out there, both are excellent.
    Some folks call him Bill Grumbine.
    I have others, but this are the best.

His DVD's are fun to watch as well.

"There. Want to see it again? Well, that's what rewind is for."

Worth getting Bill's videos just to find out what a 'turning muscle' is.....

I have one of Bill's and yes it is good, and covers the basics very, very well. Especially on preparing the blank.

However, my vote goes for the Jimmy Clewes DVDs for style and turning technique.