Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old cds

I recently called EPILOG tech support to ask the same question about cutting CD's and the tech advised me not to do it. Not sure why, just ended the conversation at that. According to this thread some of you have done it. Can you post a pic of the result.

Scott

Blog Entries
    To add to Doug's... make sure you engrave the correct side
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Like Scott, I'm a little skeptical that CDs can be laser cut successfully - Joe, Dan, are you sure they can be cut? I don't have my sample box handy but my recollection is that it did not cut well at all for me. They are generally polycarbonate, and PC does not cut without a lot of carbonization. PC generally will not engrave well either. I can't remember trying any marking myself. But I suppose if it is coated and you just affect the coating rather than penetrate the PC surface then maybe you could achieve a contrasting mark. Maybe.

I recall reading about someone marking a LightScribe CD using a co2 laser rather than using a CD burner - but I don't know where I saw that so I can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rumancik View Post
    I recall reading about someone marking a LightScribe CD using a co2 laser rather than using a CD burner - but I don't know where I saw that so I can't be sure.
    I played around with that a couple of times, no joy. The main problem is, the coating is designed to be marked by a 5 milliwatt laser: that's 0.02% of the power of my 25W machine. Suffice it to say, if the laser fires at all, it blows right through the coating and the dye, leaving a clear hole...an interesting enough artistic effect, but not terribly conducive to use of the disc for storing bits.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.