Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumbnail Viewer

Thumbnail Viewer

Hail Creekers,

Does anyone know of a thumbnail viewer that will print a page of thumbnails.

I'm using ST Thumbnails Explorer but it doesn't have that feature.

If I have a customer that requests a image type, I would like to be able to print off a page of thumbnail images for them to browse.

It would be handy also to help build a printed catalogue of available images.

Advice appreciated.

Dave.
    LaserScript 9060 SE 60W - LaserCut 5.1,
    PhotoImpact X3, CorelDraw 12, PhotoGrav, Adobe CS3

Try ACDSee here: http://store.acdsee.com/

Not affiliated with them, don't know anyone who sells it, don't wish to sell it to anyone, just a program I use and does thumnail prints, but not owned by me or have shares with them.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

The free program Picasa - from Google - will automatically print collections of images in several sizes, up (down?) to 8 per page. How many per page would qualify as "thumbnails" for you?
    Last edited by Jeff Bratt; 08-06-2009 at 1:00 AM.

XNView.
    www.xnview.com/

Like ACDSee, but (with ghostscript, also free) can view eps files as well. I used to use ACDSee all the time, but needed the eps view and I like XNView just as much now I've got used to it.

EDIT: You have to PAY for ACDSee now!!??!!??!!. Definitely XNView.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 08-05-2009 at 9:06 PM.

Thanks for the responses guys,

I'll have a look at these and let you know which one I go with.

Cheers

Dave.

Thumbnail viewer

Dave,

Depending on whether you use a PC or a Mac, Adobe Photo Shop has whats known as a "proof sheet" function that allows you to put many thumbnail sized photos on a page. If you use a Mac, then iPhoto does this very easily. But Adobe Photo Shop, for both the Mac and the PC, has this function.

Comments from other SMC folks please?

Might this help out a little or did I miss what you were asking for all together?

Definitely make a "catalog" of your work. It certainly "displays" well and makes it a LOT easier to sell your product.

Hope to see a post of some of your work when you get this done! Thanks in advance.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Try ACDSee here: http://store.acdsee.com/

Not affiliated with them, don't know anyone who sells it, don't wish to sell it to anyone, just a program I use and does thumnail prints, but not owned by me or have shares with them.
    Frank,

Seriously, I think you should post your stock portfolio holdings so we know exactly what DO have a financial interest in.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

You are a one!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Garcia View Post
    Dave,

Depending on whether you use a PC or a Mac, Adobe Photo Shop has whats known as a "proof sheet" function that allows you to put many thumbnail sized photos on a page. If you use a Mac, then iPhoto does this very easily. But Adobe Photo Shop, for both the Mac and the PC, has this function.

Comments from other SMC folks please?

Might this help out a little or did I miss what you were asking for all together?

Definitely make a "catalog" of your work. It certainly "displays" well and makes it a LOT easier to sell your product.

Hope to see a post of some of your work when you get this done! Thanks in advance.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd
    Thanks Dave,

I have Adobe PhotoShop CS3 but I couldn't see any Proof Sheet function. I checke the help files but couldn't find mention of it. I'm using a PC with Vista.

What I am trying to do is to create multiple pages of thumbnail printouts to build a catalogue of the images I have available. The customer can then browse the thumbnails to find the image they want engraving.

Darren,
    I downloaded Xnview but I can't get it to show .eps or .ai thumbnails. I have Ghostscript installed. ST thumbnail explorer uses it. This does show the eps and ai thumbnails but doesn't have a print facility.

Windows Vista has the 'snipping' tool which will allow me to select any part of the screen and capture it. I may try that for the time being and see how it goes. I'll let you all know.

Thanks again

Dave.

Well there's a very simple and effective solution.....

As mentioned I use ST Thumbnail Explorer which I find really good, except it doesn't have a thumbnail print feature.
    For those using Vista, the solution without having to load yet another software was to use the Snipping tool.
    I just adjusted the thumbnail size, used the snipping tool to highlight the thumbnails, clicked 'copy', opend a word document in landscape and narrow margins. Hit 'paste' and hey presto, A nice page of images with a neat border line of a colour of choice.

Here's an example of an A4 landscape page from my soon to be catalogue of images...

Many thanks to those taking the time to share links to software solutions.

Regards

Dave.

I downloaded Xnview but I can't get it to show .eps or .ai thumbnails. I have Ghostscript installed. ST thumbnail explorer uses it. This does show the eps and ai thumbnails but doesn't have a print facility.
    I installed XNView THEN Ghostscript; I don't know if that makes a difference, but it worked straight out of the box for me. I do seem to recall that I had to hunt around for the right windows version as the link was (and still is dead). I have it here if you would like & can't find it.

Dave,

Family pictures?

OK, where can I find this snipping tool?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Null View Post
    I installed XNView THEN Ghostscript; I don't know if that makes a difference, but it worked straight out of the box for me. I do seem to recall that I had to hunt around for the right windows version as the link was (and still is dead). I have it here if you would like & can't find it.
    Thanks Darren. I do have Ghostscript installed already. I did try re-installing it to see if that helped but no luck. I'll keep trying though as I quite like the look of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Dave,

Family pictures?

OK, where can I find this snipping tool?

You should find it in the accessories folder. If you have Vista Ultimate I think you have to go to the 'install windows components' to activate it.
    I put the icon for it on my toolbar because it is quite handy sometimes.

Cheers

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lock View Post

Here's an example of an A4 landscape page from my soon to be catalogue of images...

Wow.. Nothing like a nice happy clown face to brighten your day eh!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Under Windows no need to download or buy anything. Their built-in fax and image viewer has the feature. It only becomes apparent when you actually try to print something and a wizard dialog is presented.