Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Plywood walls vs sheetrock

I opted for sheetrock walls and ceiling. If I need to hang anything I either find a stud, use wall anchors, make something to attach to the wall or install the Wall Control pegboard panels.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

This thread is from fall of 2009. I tried to contact the OP to find out what he used to finish his shop. No luck so we're left hanging.
    For my own $0.02 I'd use low value hardwood from a a sawmill that makes railroad ties $200-$300/1000bdft. Then hang the boards barn board style. To stretch my wood i might try and find pallet mill that will run my 1" x's through a resaw

Quote Originally Posted by kent wardecke View Post
    This thread is from fall of 2009. I tried to contact the OP to find out what he used to finish his shop. No luck so we're left hanging.
    For my own $0.02 I'd use low value hardwood from a a sawmill that makes railroad ties $200-$300/1000bdft. Then hang the boards barn board style. To stretch my wood i might try and find pallet mill that will run my 1" x's through a resaw
    Those would be great, if available locally
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

4. Does putting plywood on the walls raise any issue with fire code?

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    Does putting plywood on the walls raise any issue with fire code?
    That will depend. I know in many jurisdictions if the building is attached to the house, it would. In my case, I have a detached building and in my jurisdiction it's not an issue.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

6. Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    That will depend. I know in many jurisdictions if the building is attached to the house, it would. In my case, I have a detached building and in my jurisdiction it's not an issue.
    Interesting.

When I built my garage one wall was within two feet of my neighbor's garage and the inspector told me I cannot make any holes in that wall and have to use type x drywall on it, but that I could use regular drywall on the rest of the building because it was more than ten feet from any other structures. It actually is only 8 feet from another neighbor's house (I measured after the inspection) so I probably got away with one there.

Blog Entries
    Basement shop.
    OSB on the walls.
    Nothing on the ceiling. I store lots of stuff up in the truss joists.
    Additionally, I built up the web of the I-beam going across the basment with 2x4s and then screwed OSB there. I hang all sorts of oddball stuff from the beam.

8. When I built my shop, I used sheetrock, but didn't bother to finish/spackle/paint. It's easier to cut around outlets and other obstacles, and I didn't really care the much what it looks like. The sheetrock was more to hold the insulation in place than anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Roitblat View Post
    When I built my shop, I used sheetrock, but didn't bother to finish/spackle/paint. It's easier to cut around outlets and other obstacles, and I didn't really care the much what it looks like. The sheetrock was more to hold the insulation in place than anything else...
    I mudded mine, mostly because I wanted the practice, and I'm starting to get good at it. The advantage is a little better air sealing. I also painted a bright white, with a high sheen to increase the amount of light in the room. However, I've now got most of it covered various ways.....

5/8" plywood on the bottom 8' feet and white tin on the top 8'.My ceiling is tin. I did not want to paint. A guy I know built a farm shop and lined his walls with OSB then decided to paint it white. 3-4 coats later and $4000 in, it still is not really white. So I used tin.