Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Identification Assistance

Wood Identification Assistance

I have been trying to identify the wood that was so graciously left near my office. The owner of the business did not tell me what kind of wood it was, but said I could have all I wanted. Anyway I think it is some kind of fruit tree (cherry), but the heart wood makes me doubt that theory.

It appears that the tree surgeon left most of the big pieces and chipped the limbs. The trunk from one of the 3 trees was a huge 18" in diameter. I cut the logs and crotch pieces in half and a few slabs to start turning them, but I would like some expert opinion on what kind of wood this is. For all those experts out there much appreciated for taking a look.

btw...I am headed back today to grab another load

Thanks,

-Donald-
    Attached Images Attached Images

Donald - sure looks like the Cherry we get up here! You should be able to smell the Cherry when you cut it - very sweet smell and an absolute pleasure to turn!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Donald, Im no expert but that looks an awful lot like apple to me....anyway great score
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I'm going with Cherry.

Donald, I looked both apple and cherry trees up on google and it is amazing how much they look alike as far as leaves and bark go so no help there but it is still good looking wood
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

The only cherry that I have turned was small 5 inch logs. I had never seen the heart wood of cherry look as deep red as this. Do different types of cherry trees have different meat characteristics?

Also, I have been dealing with a lot of ignorance in the sealing area. I started in sealing all exposed wood and have had a lot of fungi or mold issues. Since then I have been told that end grain sealing is all I need to do. What is the best way to seal this cut wood to slow drying and minimize mold?

Thanks and very much appreciated!

-Donald-

Also,

One of the pictures has my handy dandy "Field guide to Trees" Even though I have a book to reference I agree that it is very hard to identify...many species have the same characteristics.

Thanks,

-Donald-

the wood that I have has just been sealed on the end grainand no problems yet
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Looks like the cherry I just got done turning. Bark looks just like what I had.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Em.... I'm thinking the leaves have the wrong shape for both Apple and Cherry (I have both trees in my yard)

I'm thinking Red Alder

Leaves

Bark

Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Here is what I was thinking of - see if it is close to what you have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Cherry

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and there are photos of the leaves and bark.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

cherry is my guess...though it could be a fruitwood like peach. The apple around here usually has a less regular pattern to it. It could be something like a black birch as well.

If you could tell us where you live, it might help us decide. Good job with all of the pics!
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 08-05-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Look at the BACK side of the leaf.. If it appears to be sort of silver, or greyish..It's apple. IF it's greenish? IT's Cherry. I'm goin with cherry, which makes it an awsome grab.
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

I work in the Atlanta, GA metro area (Duluth). Most of the trees here were planted for the office complex. Cherry, Willow Oak, and various Maple trees are common in the complex. This area across the main road and in a old strip mall, but could have been developed by the same folks.

Any way the leaves are green on the back...not silver or gray. The leaves are not shiny...so it seems that cherry is the consensus.

Now I have to beg a little forgivness to the LOML for letting me put more wood in the basement....which means I have to turn her a few more things more shop time

So if I can keep this from getting mold before I turn it, I will be in business. Any suggestions to preventing mold (I have already end sealed and stickered what I have so far) would be great.

Thanks to all for the time and the expert opinions.

-Donald-

Sure looks exactly like the cherry that we have down here. You will love turning it and the smell is the best. Good Luck,

Dave