Thread: Rescued a bit of elm today...

Rescued a bit of elm today...

Siberian elm, had to leave a bunch more on the ground as the tree guys had to move on to another job, and had to clean up first. I used about a gallon of Anchor Seal, spent about a total of 8 hours, two trips, loading, unloading and sealing, in 92 degree heat, so I'm pretty much toast now. But I reckon this will keep me out of trouble for a while.

This tree split off into 3 main trunks that all went straight up and had very few branches until they got way up there. Most of the pieces from the butt were thin slices so they could move them, but they did one nice thick one, about 14" just for us. Took three or four guys to get it into the trailer. My partner and I couldn't budge it when unloading, so we looped a rope around it and dragged it off the trailer with my truck, with log positioned on the ground below it so that it would come to rest at about a 45 degree angle to the ground. We then could push it the rest of the way up, support it with some of the other logs, and cut it into the three non-round pieces you see in the foreground.

It's all covered now with plastic tarps. I've had good luck so far this summer keeping wood under a tarp, and spraying it down every few days. The tarp hold moisture in and keeps the sun off, with no wood cracking yet. the stuff I put under a tree in the yard in mostly dense shade didn't fare nearly as well in our hot and dry climate.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan - congrats on scoring some beautiful wood! I can only imagine how tired you were after hauling all that! Looking forward to seeing some of it turned! Congrats again!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

You will have fun with it!

Dan, When I got my big haul of Siberian elm I was amazed at the color and the grain in the wood! It turns very nice and is relativley stable after rough turning. Your stuff looks a lot better than most I got as mine was crooked and dogs hind leg!

Enjoy,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

THAT is fantastic. Tell me you have a coring system of some sort?

If he doesn't have a coring system, now is the time.

Great haul!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

You'll love it. I discovered my mystery wood was Siberian Elm and I want more. It didnt move much after drying and was super easy to finish out. Very stable. FYI, On my stuff, I roughed out the bowls and such to about 3/4" and anchorsealed the outside and rim. Let them on the shelf for two months and they were completely dry. (I didnt use Dna at this time)

Wow congrats. That is a lot of turning there Dan.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Magnificent haul. Congrats. But 92 degrees? I have to put on a jacket when it gets that cool. (just kidding)
    Richard in Wimberley

Good to know that it turns and behaves well as it dries. It is really attractive, roughed out the outside of a bowl last night (left in plastic bag) and the figure kind of reminds me of rosewood. Think I'll set aside a few peppermill blanks too.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Congrats. That's a heck of a haul. The Siberian elm I've turned was nice when green, but pretty hard and ready to dull tools when dry. The finished product is worth the effort though.

WOW - that's a nice haul.

A BIT? Looks like you got the whole forest! Great score. You want to send some my wa just let me know. I'd be happy to adopt a piece or two.

You are a lucky man Dan.
    Elm is fun to turn and usually looks good.
    Hope you enjoy it and have fun with it.
    Rich S.

wow that looks like a great haul, congrats.