Thread: Jet 1220VS still runs hot!!

Jet 1220VS still runs hot!!

OK, for those that have a Jet 1220VS, I need you help. I ordered this lathe back in May. Finally came in and the bearings were running so hot you couldnt keep your hand on the head stock (and I didnt even put any wood on it yet). Took it back and Woodcraft ordered another 1220 and it did the same thing. Jet would not give me a return or refund, instead they made me take it to a service center. So I did.

3 weeks later (today) I pick up the lathe and the service tech said he had to adjust the headstock handle because it was attached to the lathe to tightly when it was assymbled at the factory. He called the Jet tech rep who told him there has to be a .001 inch of lateral play in the spindle handle when you push against it. Mine did not so the service tech adjusted the handle and operated the lathe for 45 minutes. He told me the headstock got warm but not anything like it did when I first brought it in and he tested it.

I ran the lathe tonight for only 5 minutes and the spindle handle was getting hot again. I loosened the set screws on the handle and backed the handle off a tiny bit. You could push on the handle and get a tiny bit of lateral movement but I have no way of checking it. So, I reran the lathe to test for the heat and it made no difference. The handle and bearings were still really warm after only a few minutes of run time.

SO, is this normal? do I loosen the handle more? Is the spring washer between the back of the handle and the bearing transfering heat to the handle and the other bearing? Should I call Jet and tell them to stick the lathe up there A** and DEMAND a refund ( I like this option better ).

I have been without a lathe since the 1st of May and my patience is all used up. Any suggestions.

good tools cost alot of money...if I wasnt satisfied I would send it back and maybe try a different brand
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

How tight was your belt? One common problem is over-tightening the belt. Don't put too much weight on the lever to tighten the belt; the weight of the motor is normally enough. As long as the belt is not slipping, you have enough belt tension. Over tightening the belt causes over heat and premature bearing failure.
    Does your spindle spin freely without attaching the drive belt?
    Does your spindle and motor drive pulley line up?
    My 1220 VS barely get warm after half an hour without any load.
    Woodcraft and Jet both provide excellent service. There are worse.
    Gordon

Jack I turned continuously on my 1220 for almost 5 hrs. I turned 6 mini birdhouses, 6 ornaments and a couple of pens. It just got warm. I touched the headstock spindle and the shaft inside. They were warm but not hot.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jack,
    Can you come up with a way to actually measure the temperatures you are seeing/feeling? If you had some actual measured data it would make a much stronger case for telling someone where to stick the lathe.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Jack,
    Can you come up with a way to actually measure the temperatures you are seeing/feeling? If you had some actual measured data it would make a much stronger case for telling someone where to stick the lathe.
    I dont have anyway of measuring the heat. The belt tension is loose and there is nothing binding the spindle other than the tightness of the handle on the headstock. The handle and bearings get really warm after only 5 minutes of run time with no load, just spinning air. If I loosen the handle anymore then you get more lateral play in the spindle. I exspect some warmth from the bearings but not after only a few minutes of run time. This is a known issue that Jet is aware (according to the Jet rep) of but have yet decided to redesign the spindle handle. I never had this issue with my 1014 . I think I am just going to have to call Jet and insist on a refund.

Jack - something sure isn't right...... lets just say - I look forward to seeing photos of your new lathe - whatever brand it turns out to be!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    I dont have anyway of measuring the heat. The belt tension is loose and there is nothing binding the spindle other than the tightness of the handle on the headstock. The handle and bearings get really warm after only 5 minutes of run time with no load, just spinning air. If I loosen the handle anymore then you get more lateral play in the spindle. I exspect some warmth from the bearings but not after only a few minutes of run time. This is a known issue that Jet is aware (according to the Jet rep) of but have yet decided to redesign the spindle handle. I never had this issue with my 1014 . I think I am just going to have to call Jet and insist on a refund.
    Jack, For around $10 you can get a laser thermometer at Harbor freight. You just point it at the item you want to check and it reads the temp. I got one and it works like a champ! In lots of the woodworking and turning mags this month there are 20% off coupons so check it out.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    you should check out your state laws. California has a no lemon law that applies to cars, appliances, tools, etc. If it breaks down more than 4 times in a year you are entitled a refund, exchange, or in some cases they actually let you keep it and refund your money. I would google it.
    “The key to change... is to let go of fear.”

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Jack - something sure isn't right...... lets just say - I look forward to seeing photos of your new lathe - whatever brand it turns out to be!

Well I went to Woodcraft today and the manager and his corporate rep are going to give me a full refund on my 1220. They are going to send a truck out next week to pick it up. . Finally I can get on with this issue and now I have to decide on which other midi lathe to purchase. And no, it will not be a Jet! Jet would not do anything to help me out except tell me to take it to another service center or try and keep fidiling with the spindle handle till I could get it to a point where it would not heat up the spindle. And Jet's return policy sucks! If you want a refund YOU have to pay the shipping to return the tool to Jet. What kind of service it that!

So, from what I have looked at, the Rikon looks like an acceptable choice. I was thinking about the new Delta but its to new of a tool to just go out and spend $600 on without at least a year of reviews on it. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Jack Gaskins; 08-08-2009 at 1:18 PM.