Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to getting a good used car...

Whatever happened to getting a good used car...

Whatever happened to getting a good used car for about $600.00?

My son's car died. 2001 Jetta with 134K miles.... bent a rod, engine's toast. Ouch. He was supposed to take this to college from NJ to ND in 2 weeks. I guess it's better now than later.

His budget is tight - about $5,000.00 - this doesn't buy much under 90,000 miles. At least not in NJ.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    ...not in New Hampshire or Florida either!

...$600.00 for a decent used car ended about 1970...

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

One think I know you can get for that around here is a Ford Ranger with a 4cyl or 3.0L V-6 both of which will easily go 200K miles if properly cared for. The guy who bought my freezer the other day had 250K on his 4cylinder. The truck was beat to you-know-what from being well used but he said it still ran strong. My parents have a 3.0 and have about 200 on it, though it recently started using oil. I had one with 157 that was still going strong when I traded it in. It hasn't changed much since about 93 so parts are plentiful.

"Whatever happened to getting a good used car for about $600.00?"

Mitch, its called "inflation" (grinnn!)
    Back in my day, long, long ago - a decent car ran about what a senior could make in his/her summer job before going off to college.
    So, 5 - 6,000$ seems about right.

If you cost things out by the amount of time needed to work to buy them, there is really very little inflation, actually there is some deflation in some cases.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

How about just replacing the engine, should be able to come in way under 5000.00 even with the cost of install. I just checked with GEX and they will do a 2 liter that fits 99-04 Jetta cars for 2499.00, my neighbor said he would do it for under a 1000.00. If the car has been cared for that would be the route I would take, I would also do the work myself but I have had oil and grease on my body since I was about six.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    2001 Jetta with 134K miles.... bent a rod, engine's toast.
    First off, tell the son to stop lead footing. It is virtually impossible for a rod to bend and lunch the engine unless macho-mucho-RPM is involved. It is RPMs that kills engines.

OK, off the soap box and I am with Heather, check the local wreckers and you should find a low mileage drop in replacement for around a thousand bucks. Another 500-bucks at the local garage would have the swap done.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Blog Entries
    A co-worker bought a 1973 Ford F-150 beater for about $1800 awhile back. $5000 will get you a Honda Civic with 150k on it around here.

I have had good luck picking up land-yachts from older folks who have quit driving for a few hundred bucks now and then. The gas is bad but the insurance is super cheap and there are no payments. You know, a 1973 Buick La Saber or something like that(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    First off, tell the son to stop lead footing. It is virtually impossible for a rod to bend and lunch the engine unless macho-mucho-RPM is involved. It is RPMs that kills engines.

OK, off the soap box and I am with Heather, check the local wreckers and you should find a low mileage drop in replacement for around a thousand bucks. Another 500-bucks at the local garage would have the swap done.
    Sorry to contradict Dave, but there are lots of ways for a rod to bend with out lead footing it provided there are other issues with the motor. And in generally RPM's are good for motors keeps the motor clean, less carbon. A 2001 jetta wouldn't have over REV'd casing engine damage they have a REV limiter. I will get off my soap box now.

You can still find cars for $600 they may need some work though. I buy 2-3 a year off craigslist for under $1000 and sell them for a nice profit. Usually they need head gaskets, tranny, intake gaskets, engine. I bought a 1994 chrysler lebaron 3.0 V6 for $100 back in 2000. I put over 150K on it before I did anything to it other than oil changes, brakes, and tune-up. It was cheap becuase it had a slight dent in the roof near the right rear corner (tree) the passenger mirror was torn off, and the paint was pealing near the dent. In the end the car had 264k when the tranny locked up and I decided it was time for something else. I ended up getting $250 for it from the junk yard. So I drove the car for 6 years and made $150 not to shabby. You have to look around, you arn't going to find a car worth a darn from a any kind of dealer for $600.

I think that one of the major issues in finding a good used car is that cars last longer and people hold on to them longer. My car 8 years old, has 112k miles on it, still gets 24mpg and is in amazing shape. I hope it will last at least 200-250k before biting the dust.

Good luck on the search.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I'd just swap in another engine, or pay someone else to do it. Like others have said, it should be back on the road for around $1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Thompson View Post
    . . . I have had oil and grease on my body since I was about six.

Heather
    LOL . . . time for a bath Heather?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

OK, were he my son I'd put him on a bus to North Dakota. I'd let him figure out the "lay of the land" for a few weeks until WINTER sets in. Then I'd let him go find something that will start in -30 below weather, and BUY IT!!!

If ND means Notre Dame then its a differnt story.

IIRC this college offered something along the lines of helicopter study?? I don't think they start either!

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Back in my day, long, long ago - a decent car ran about what a senior could make in his/her summer job before going off to college.
    So, 5 - 6,000$ seems about right.
    That's exactly right. My HS car cost one summer's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Thompson View Post
    How about just replacing the engine, should be able to come in way under 5000.00 even with the cost of install. I just checked with GEX and they will do a 2 liter that fits 99-04 Jetta cars for 2499.00, my neighbor said he would do it for under a 1000.00. If the car has been cared for that would be the route I would take, I would also do the work myself but I have had oil and grease on my body since I was about six.

Heather
    If I was younger, I'd do it. (My freinds and I replaced many engines in the 70's.... had to. Cars went about 60k miles on an engine change.) My son hasn't the skills, and he's got to get on the road faster that we can get a salvage engine pulled and delivered, let alone installed. I offered the car to the mechanics at the VW dealership. One of them offered $500.00 for it - mostly because of the custom rims.

Getting the car running and shipping it to him later adds $800.00 to the cost, again making it costly.

I've got more money than time and patience.
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 08-03-2009 at 5:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    OK, were he my son I'd put him on a bus to North Dakota. I'd let him figure out the "lay of the land" for a few weeks until WINTER sets in. Then I'd let him go find something that will start in -30 below weather, and BUY IT!!!

If ND means Notre Dame then its a differnt story.

IIRC this college offered something along the lines of helicopter study?? I don't think they start either!

Bruce
    Yep, University of North Dakota, Aerospace for Aviation Mgmnt. I've been there and you need a car. Grand Forks. Middle of nowhere. Chopper course is on the list for years 2, 3, 4.