Thread: Juniper and Whitetail Antler

Juniper and Whitetail Antler

I got a tip that someone a few blocks away cut down a large juniper tree so I stopped on my way to work and snagged some. The trunk sections were too big for one person and I had a tie on so I only grabbed a couple of small sections. I roughed out two bowls from the smallest section, wrapped them w/ shavings and let them dry. They were bad to crack so I got to practice filling with epoxy. I had never tried it so I mixed up some blue dye in it just to see what it would do. Yep, used too much and it bled. The little one got snagged on the buffer and introduced to the wall. CA'd the crack and left it alone. Turn and learn. They are not perfect but that's ok, they were ment for practice.

The antler pens are whitetail with a CA finish. My pens finance the rest of my turning addiction. (Is it an addiction if it is an obsession?) Two of them have some bark left on them. The people that buy them seem to like them better that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark - those are some really good looking pens! Great form! Also - really like the bowls! Very rich color! I can see why your customers really like them! Nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I love working with juniper....although I try to stay away from the antlers......

The finish on that bowl is spectacular. What do you use?
    “The key to change... is to let go of fear.”

The short one is Danish oil, about 5-6 coats. I had never tried it so this was a good time to experiment. The taller one is rattle can lacquer.

Excellent Mark! The bowls and pens. If I may ask, what is that pen kit? I really like how that center band looks compared to a basic slim line.

How bad did the antlers smell? I hear it is wicked to the max!

Again, great job!

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I'm really focused in on bowl #1......you must have buffed too I've never seen danish oil shine like that
    <<<<file fact to revue. I'm going to do whatever you do when I finish this one juniper box that's been sitting around for awhile.
    “The key to change... is to let go of fear.”

The bowl was buffed until it became a projectile. I have the Beal system and am learning to use it. Today I learned to use two hands. The crack is almost invisible on the left side.

Yes, the antler smells. I blow a fan sideways across the lathe to help keep the odor away and besides the face shield, I use a mask type respirator when I use CA because it really makes me cough bad a couple of hours later. It is hot and took some getting used to but still better than the coughing. My CA technique is a little different than most. I turn, sand to 320 and then apply the CA in thin coats. After it cures, I lightly sand it if it is not smooth and then buff it w/ EEE then white diamond. It is easier and faster than micromesh.

Mark,
    Looks somewhat similar to the ash-juniper (cedar) that we have here. Does yours have somewhat shaggy bark and rather convoluted trunk?

Am going to look for a deer antler picture. Be back later.

Edit: Here's some local deer antler, with nearby grandson.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard Madison; 08-01-2009 at 10:26 PM.
    Richard in Wimberley

Both are beauties. I really like the pens and the vase is great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Richard, the bark is very shaggy and convoluted so I think it might be the same. This was a pretty old tree.

Nice to see you grow your own antler.

Mark, Looks like you got some nice big pieces. Have done a couple small endgrain pieces recently and really like the stuff. Will try to get more and bigger.
    Richard in Wimberley

Mark, those look great! I picked up some antler pieces the other day and am gonna try some pens. Any other hints or tricks on working with the antler?

John

John, I have figured out a few things that might help. The marrow is ugly and difficult to finish so avoid showing it as much as possible. I use calipers and measure out the pen blanks so that I use the smallest diameter antler I can. It also maximizes the number of pens you can make form a set. Depending on the type of pen and the size of antler, you can get 6-10 pens from a full rack pretty easily. I cut them on the band saw.

Ventilation is a must. You will get a fine dust and the smell will be BAD.

I drill on the lathe, it just seems to go better. The tubes are glued in w/ epoxy (just my preference). I knock the sides down w/ a roughing gouge then switch to a skew. Sharp, Sharp, Sharp. I sand 320 and 400 and apply CA. 4-6 coats and if they are not smooth, sand lightly w/ 600 then buff w/ EEE and WD.

If you want a whiter antler you can whiten it in peroxide. Just soak if for a couple of days and then let it dry out before turning. (Did you know that peroxide will release epoxy? I did not either.)

Let me know if there is anything I missed.